Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally buying my first DSLR

Options
  • 02-12-2018 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hey Peeps!

I'm looking to buy myself a DSLR for Christmas, I have been using them on and off for 5 years now for college projects and helping out mates with videos and all. So I am comfortable using them.

Most of my mates use Canon 600D's for college, but I'm not a fan of buying second hand so I would rather buy brand new.

I have always used Canon so I would prefer to stay with Canon but always open to other options!

I have been looking around and places that sell cameras and there doesn't seem to be any real difference in prices if anything canon actually seems to be the cheapest.

So the two DSLR cameras I'm most set on at the moment are.

Canon 800D - Link to Canon

Canon 200D - Link to Canon

On Canons website I can get the 800D with standard lens for 703 euro I think it was with the discount they have plus the student discount I can get.

Or

The 200D which comes with a bag and spare battery for 570ish after the discounts.

Now I'm leaning more towards the 200D as it just seems like great value but one of my mates was saying that the 200D is pretty much an 800D just in a cheaper body, and won't last as long.

So I'm just looking for input, what do ye think? any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

LukeyKid wrote: »
    Hey Peeps!

I'm looking to buy myself a DSLR for Christmas, I have been using them on and off for 5 years now for college projects and helping out mates with videos and all. So I am comfortable using them.

Most of my mates use Canon 600D's for college, but I'm not a fan of buying second hand so I would rather buy brand new.

I have always used Canon so I would prefer to stay with Canon but always open to other options!

I have been looking around and places that sell cameras and there doesn't seem to be any real difference in prices if anything canon actually seems to be the cheapest.

So the two DSLR cameras I'm most set on at the moment are.

Canon 800D - Link to Canon

Canon 200D - Link to Canon

On Canons website I can get the 800D with standard lens for 703 euro I think it was with the discount they have plus the student discount I can get.

Or

The 200D which comes with a bag and spare battery for 570ish after the discounts.

Now I'm leaning more towards the 200D as it just seems like great value but one of my mates was saying that the 200D is pretty much an 800D just in a cheaper body, and won't last as long.

So I'm just looking for input, what do ye think? any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

While I don’t have any opinions on the above cameras as I haven’t used them but I would say don’t rule second hand straight off .. some good bargains to be had around this time of year on the likes of adverts because people are upgrading around Xmas or changing over to mirrorless systems.
    The reason I recommend to rethink second hand is because it would leave you the extra few quid to buy a better lens than a kit lens.

Most newish dslr,s are perfectly fine for a first camera especially when you say you are after getting the hang of them already but you would find yourself limited with the kit lens fairly quickly and would want/need to upgrade.

Have a look on adverts for someone selling a low shutter count camera with maybe a couple of lens in a bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

harr wrote: »
    While I don’t have any opinions on the above cameras as I haven’t used them but I would say don’t rule second hand straight off .. some good bargains to be had around this time of year on the likes of adverts because people are upgrading around Xmas or changing over to mirrorless systems.
    The reason I recommend to rethink second hand is because it would leave you the extra few quid to buy a better lens than a kit lens.

Most newish dslr,s are perfectly fine for a first camera especially when you say you are after getting the hang of them already but you would find yourself limited with the kit lens fairly quickly and would want/need to upgrade.

Have a look on adverts for someone selling a low shutter count camera with maybe a couple of lens in a bundle.

Well, I agree you can get great deals second hand but I have had bad experiences buying second hand before. I also agree upgrading the lens is a must but I would be more willing to buy a second-hand lens than the camera.

But I will keep an eye out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

LukeyKid wrote: »
    Well, I agree you can get great deals second hand but I have had bad experiences buying second hand before. I also agree upgrading the lens is a must but I would be more willing to buy a second-hand lens than the camera.

But I will keep an eye out :)

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7495247.htm

This seems good value and has the better lens, canon normally have cash back offers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

harr wrote: »
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7495247.htm

This seems good value and has the better lens, canon normally have cash back offers.
    Over 100 cheaper on Amazon uk:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Digital-SLR-Cameras/Canon-EOS-200D-EF-S-18/B074DZWLGG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1543794645&sr=8-9&keywords=canon+200d

As for the 200D the main difference is the size of the camera when compared to an 800D. The sensor is the same so the image and video quality should be the same. It looks like the 200D performs worse in terms of high speed shooting (stills), but this may not be important. I know a good few photographers who use them because of the small size.

There is great value second hand in this end of the market, tonnes of beginners get them and quickly lose interest, so there are bargains to be had if you're savvy. But I totally understand why you might not want to.

Advertisement