Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport avoiding M50

Options
  • 29-11-2018 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone have a route to Dublin airport which avoids the M50. The M50 is now not fit for purpose and should not be used during peak times as you cannot be guaranteed how long it will take to get across once you join M50.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

6541 wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone have a route to Dublin airport which avoids the M50. The M50 is now not fit for purpose and should not be used during peak times as you cannot be guaranteed how long it will take to get across once you join M50.

Unless there is an accident the M50 will still be the quickest way to the airport.

If you are coming from Mayo and want to avoid it you could go up through Lucan, Blanchardstown and then across the old Ashbourne Road and approach the airport from that side but you will be longer.

Lucan - Ballymun exit or the M1 exit is generally fine traffic wise bar an accident of the port tunnel being closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

I find Google Maps pretty accurate at estimating times. It only really gets screwed up if there's an incident.
    And it'll normally throw up a couple of alternative routes.
    If you want it to avoid most of the M50 tell it to avoid toll roads. I just did that on my phone for your route and it did it but it added 22 minutes. Not sure if that's worth the couple of quid for the toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭6541

I find Google Maps pretty accurate at estimating times. It only really gets screwed up if there's an incident.
    And it'll normally throw up a couple of alternative routes.
    If you want it to avoid most of the M50 tell it to avoid toll roads. I just did that on my phone for your route and it did it but it added 22 minutes. Not sure if that's worth the couple of quid for the toll.

no its not the tolls, look on line today, the M50 is completely backed up. People are giving out stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

no its not the tolls, look on line today, the M50 is completely backed up. People are giving out stink.

No I meant if you avoid tolls thatll cut out a chunk of the M50 for your particular drive. You'll come out in blanchardstown which is only 10 to 15 mins from the airport.
    There was an accident today somewhere. I spent an hour and a half in a commute that normally takes 30 mins. This is not normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Weather this morning in Dublin was terrible, there was multiple accidents and 1 that blocked all 3 lanes. Port Tunnel was also closed.

Certainly going northbound in the morning from Lucan - Airport that is not the norm. Southbound is generally a lot heavier on that stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

[Mod Note] Not a Mayo related thread, more M50/Commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

OP can you not just leave in plenty of time to accommodate any delay? I always time myself to be there an hour before check in to avoid any panic.

Advertisement