Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.308 scope, mounts, threading cover

Options
  • 28-11-2018 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hello,

I currently have a cheap Chinese scope and mounts on my 308. Its okayish for shooting but has an annoying habit of fogging up on cold mornings or when I turn up the magnification.

I'm looking for a scope reccomendation. Its mostly farmers fields I'm shooting, not many shots longer than 150 meters, so I'm looking for something fairly basic and reliable, doesn't need any special features or anything, just needs to hold zero and not fog up.

I have a Marlin X7 which has a (I think) picatinny type rail over the breech. This along with the scope mounts raise the scope quite high above the stock, so I can't really rest my cheek on the stock when pulling the trigger. I'm looking for very low scope mounts. Again, doesn't have to be high end or anything.

I've a budget of about 300 beans for the scope and mounts.

Lastly, sometimes I don't bother with the supressor to cut down on weight in the field if I'm doing a lot of walking. So I'm just wondering if you can get like cover you can screw on over the threads to protect them from damage? Not sure what type of threading I have but the supressor is a Nielson Sonic 45.

Sorry for the long winded post, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

There is plenty in the Hawke range of scopes that would fit your requirements. They represent stupendous value for money, too and should leave you enough to get suitable rings/mounts. Your rifle should already have a thread cover if you bought it threaded from new. Else it's a trip to your LGS to see what he has that will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hello,

I have a Marlin X7 which has a (I think) picatinny type rail over the breech. This along with the scope mounts raise the scope quite high above the stock, so I can't really rest my cheek on the stock when pulling the trigger. I'm looking for very low scope mounts. Again, doesn't have to be high end or anything.

Or,if you are not too upset about looks you can get a cheek riser to lift your cheek to the scope sight line.Kydex Ireland can do one for you.They are on google,FB and I think regularly in Harbour House on a Sat

So I'm just wondering if you can get like cover you can screw on over the threads to protect them from damage? Not sure what type of threading I have but the supressor is a Nielson Sonic 45.

Or you can get a machine shop to run you one up.You need a thread pitch gauge to find out what the thread is.There is even an app that you can download to your phone that will measure this as well these days.Not as good as the thread gauge.but they are cheap enough and should be in everyone's garage or tool box.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Lastly, sometimes I don't bother with the supressor to cut down on weight in the field if I'm doing a lot of walking.

Chances are your point of impact will be very different with the mod on or off the rifle... Sometimes it can be out by 8 inches or more!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Hello,

I currently have a cheap Chinese scope and mounts on my 308. Its okayish for shooting but has an annoying habit of fogging up on cold mornings or when I turn up the magnification.

I'm looking for a scope reccomendation. Its mostly farmers fields I'm shooting, not many shots longer than 150 meters, so I'm looking for something fairly basic and reliable, doesn't need any special features or anything, just needs to hold zero and not fog up.

I've a budget of about 300 beans for the scope and mounts.

Lastly, sometimes I don't bother with the supressor to cut down on weight in the field if I'm doing a lot of walking. So I'm just wondering if you can get like cover you can screw on over the threads to protect them from damage? Not sure what type of threading I have but the supressor is a Nielson Sonic 45.

Sorry for the long winded post, thanks!

There should be two black rings that came in the box with the Sonic suppressor, one fits into the suppressor if you want to reduce the size for barrel diameter, the other smaller one is to fit over your threads on the muzzle when you are not using the suppressor.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭TheEngineer1

Cheers for the replies lads, appreciate it!
    There should be two black rings that came in the box with the Sonic suppressor, one fits into the suppressor if you want to reduce the size for barrel diameter, the other smaller one is to fit over your threads on the muzzle when you are not using the suppressor.

I didn't get the box when I got the suppressor I'm afraid, just the can itself!

• Advertisement
Advertisement