Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 Speed Cassette on 10 Speed Wheels

Options
  • 28-11-2018 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a set of fairly good 10 speed wheels that I normally use in the winter but I recently sold my 10 speed bike and both bikes are now 11 speed Ultegra.
    For the winter I am thinking of fitting a Shimano Ultegra HG800 11-34 cassette on the 10 speed wheels.
    Seemingly this will work as it is really an mtb cassette and mtb cassettes will fit 10 speed freehubs (just without the spacer you use on 11 speed freehubs).
    Has anyone out there tried this. I presume I would have to adjust the rear derailleur limit screws as it would be 1.8mm closer to the wheel.
    Also, as I run an 11-32 on the summer wheels, I think I should be ok with the same chain for 11-34?
    Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

The HG800 series of cassettes has been designed to work on 10sp freehubs. I'm pretty sure there will be a need to adjust the derailleur slightly, perhaps not by 1.8mm, but hey, it's not a rocket science ;)

If you ran 11-32 before, the chain *should* be ok as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

I'm in the same boat and have looked into it quite a bit. The 'simplest' way to me would seem to be to get 1.8mm turned off the inside of the 11-speed, to allow it to snug into the freehub. That way you won't have to re-adjust anything.

This is 'simple' if you know someone with a lathe or an engineering works that won't charge you too much for a 5 min. job.

Advertisement