Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licence for .38/357

Options
  • 28-11-2018 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all just a few questions on applying for licence for a gallery rifle in 38/357

Will it be a un restricted or restricted licence ?

When filling out firearms application regarding caliber do you put in 38 or 357 or both ?

The reason I am asking this is we all know we can use 38 in 357 but if my licence is granted for either .38 or 357 and not both then technically I am breaking the law if I use one thats not on my licence.

Has anyone else had any problems with this scenario ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Restricted. Its over .308 in bore diameter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Open to correction, but I'm pretty sure that as it's 'bigger' (:rolleyes:) than 0.308" it's therefore fierce dangerous altogether Restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

As has been said already, it is a restricted firearm so you must apply for a restricted licence.

Put down the calibre as .38 spl as this is the ammo that you will be using in competition. I put down both but they only have the facility to put one calibre on the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭NASRPC

.38sp and .357 are both larger (in diameter) than .308, therefore a rifle chambered in either is a restricted firearm.

The firearm barrel will list the calibre as ".38sp / .357" if it can take both.

However, PULSE does not have this listed as an option so you will end up, on your license, with whichever the Garda entering it puts in (They will pick the smaller one, i.e. .357) - and hence will only be able to purchase that calibre of ammunition - so better to specify the calibre you do intend to shoot - either ".38sp" or ".357"

NASRPC

NASRPC wrote: »
    .38sp and .357 are both larger (in diameter) than .308, therefore a rifle chambered in either is a restricted firearm.

However, PULSE does not have this listed as an option so you will end up, on your license, with whichever the Garda entering it puts in (They will pick the smaller one, i.e. .357) - and hence will only be able to purchase that calibre of ammunition - so better to specify the calibre you do intend to shoot - either ".38sp" or ".357"

NASRPC

Will dealers sell you .38spl if you have .357 on your licence ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Possibly,if you go the .357 caliber first,at least IMO you can go down rather than trying to fight up for another caliber..

This is again like the combination guns question,do you need a rifle lic a shotgun lic?Or both? As the acts never envisaged this kind of a situation or gun.

So it is at the end of the day is left to the cheifs decision,in this case what he wants to do.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Hack12

Depends on what you are using the gun for. If gallery rifle go for 38S as doing a 1500 match (150+ rounds including sighters) with 357 magnums, during/after a match you will be driven mad with the recoil after 45 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭clivej

Well on my first Marlin license conditions were, amongst others, I was not allowed use 375 mag in it. And the license stated 850 rounds of 357mag. So I bought 38spl ammo. Lol. After shooting long range comps. 100, 200, 300yds, where 357mag was required, I requested the condition be rescinded which it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

gunny123 wrote: »

Its restricted because its a centrefire pistol calibre.
    Like having a 9mm lever release gun.

jb88 wrote: »

Its restricted because its a centrefire pistol calibre.
    Like having a 9mm lever release gun.

Its restricted because the calibre is over .308" in diameter, it does not matter if its a handgun round or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

Its restricted because the calibre is over .308" in diameter, it does not matter if its a handgun round or not.

Im sorry it does, and I have two of these firearms for a number of years, its because its a centrefire restricted pistol calibre, it doesnt make any difference if its bigger or smaller.

Or maybe its because the Gardai say it is, so like they say .303 is smaller than.308 which it isnt. All .303 is should be restricted then because they have a bigger bullet head than a .308

jb88 wrote: »
    Im sorry it does, and I have two of these firearms for a number of years, its because its a centrefire restricted pistol calibre, it doesnt make any difference if its bigger or smaller.

Or maybe its because the Gardai say it is, so like they say .303 is smaller than.308 which it isnt. All .303 is should be restricted then because they have a bigger bullet head than a .308

Copied directly from the commissioners guidelines. Please point out where it states anything to do with "Handgun" ammunition/calibre being a reason for these rifles to be restricted.
    It states plainly that the calibre or overall length is what leads to a rifle being restricted or unrestricted, but does not mention action type. As for the .303, yes technically i should be restricted, but the gardai choose, thankfully, to see it as unrestricted.

RESTRICTED OR NON RESTRICTED FIREARM?
    Attention is drawn to Statutory Instrument No: 391 of 2015: Firearms (Restricted
    Firearms and Ammunition) (Amendment) Order 2015 which came into operation on 15th
    September 2015 and further amended Statutory Instruments No: 337 of2009 and No: 21
    of 2008. Statutory Instrument No: 391 of 2015 provides that .22-inch LR (5.58mm)
    calibre pistols (used for the purpose of target shooting at an authorised rifle or pistol club
    or authorised shooting range) are defined as non-restricted firearms provided the
    magazine is manufactured or modified prior to use to hold no more than 5 rounds.
    Applications for a firearm certificate for these short firearms and all air operated short
    firearms using .177-inch (4.5mm) calibre ammunition (air pistols), shall be made to the
    superintendent of the district where the applicant resides.
    In brief, all short firearms are defined as restricted firearms with the exceptions as
    outlined in Statutory Instrument No: 21 of 2008, as amended, and in particular Statutory
    Instrument No: 391 of 2015 as outlined above. No new applications shall be considered
    to licence a restricted short firearm (other than for a short firearm for which the applicant
    held a firearm certificate on or before 19th November 2008) as provided in section 30 of
    the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions Act) 2009.
    Additionally, any rim fire rifle with a magazine holding in excess of 10 rounds is defined
    as a restricted firearm, as is any rifle exceeding .308 inch (7.62mm) calibre and whose
    overall length is less than 35.4 inches (90 ern)
    . Any shotgun that can hold more than 3
    cartridges (unless manufactured, modified or adapted to hold no more than 3) or having a
    detached, folding stock or with a pistol grip or having a barrel less than 24 inches (61 ern)
    in length also comes within the restricted firearm category. Applications for firearm
    certificates for restricted firearms are considered by the chief superintendent of the
    division where the applicant resides, having been so delegated by the Garda
    Commissioner.

clivej wrote: »
    Well on my first Marlin license conditions were, amongst others, I was not allowed use 375 mag in it. And the license stated 850 rounds of 357mag. So I bought 38spl ammo. Lol. After shooting long range comps. 100, 200, 300yds, where 357mag was required, I requested the condition be rescinded which it was.

Just as well, them Holland and Holland rounds would be terrible hard shooting in a lever action :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭.270 remington

NASRPC wrote: »

NASRPC

Maybe its time to update pulse system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Copied directly from the commissioners guidelines. Please point out where it states anything to do with "Handgun" ammunition/calibre being a reason for these rifles to be restricted.
    It states plainly that the calibre or overall length is what leads to a rifle being restricted or unrestricted, but does not mention action type. As for the .303, yes technically i should be restricted, but the gardai choose, thankfully, to see it as unrestricted.

Attention is drawn to Statutory Instrument No: 391 of 2015: Firearms (Restricted
    Firearms and Ammunition) (Amendment) Order 2015 which came into operation on 15th
    September 2015 and further amended Statutory Instruments No: 337 of2009 and No: 21
    of 2008. Statutory Instrument No: 391 of 2015 provides that .22-inch LR (5.58mm)
    calibre pistols (used for the purpose of target shooting at an authorised rifle or pistol club
    or authorised shooting range) are defined as non-restricted firearms provided the
    magazine is manufactured or modified prior to use to hold no more than 5 rounds.
    Applications for a firearm certificate for these short firearms and all air operated short
    firearms using .177-inch (4.5mm) calibre ammunition (air pistols), shall be made to the
    In brief, all short firearms are defined as restricted firearms with the exceptions as
    outlined in Statutory Instrument No: 21 of 2008, as amended, and in particular Statutory
    Instrument No: 391 of 2015 as outlined above. No new applications shall be considered
    to licence a restricted short firearm (other than for a short firearm for which the applicant
    held a firearm certificate on or before 19th November 2008) as provided in section 30 of
    Additionally, any rim fire rifle with a magazine holding in excess of 10 rounds is defined
    as a restricted firearm, as is any rifle exceeding .308 inch (7.62mm) calibre and whose
    cartridges (unless manufactured, modified or adapted to hold no more than 3) or having a
    detached, folding stock or with a pistol grip or having a barrel less than 24 inches (61 ern)
    in length also comes within the restricted firearm category. Applications for firearm
    certificates for restricted firearms are considered by the chief superintendent of the
    Commissioner.
    Interesting , the guidelines state rifle greater then 308 and less than 90 cm?

So a rifle that is greater than 308 and longer than 90 cm is not restricted?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Chiparus wrote: »

Commissioner.

They are guidelines, not the law. Now maybe the law says the same but I can't be ar5ed checking. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Chiparus wrote: »

That was my reading of it too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭NASRPC

Remember that the guidelines are just that - guidelines.

The only documents that actually matter, or can be applied, enforced or challenged - are the law.

Advertisement