Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling on New Concrete Screed

Options
  • 27-11-2018 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,

We are ready to start Tiling on our new build ground floor.

The ground floor has underfloor heating laid in an 80mm sand/cement screed. The tiler has expressed concerns about tiling prior to underfloor heating being turned on as he is worried about cracking in the tiles.

While I understand his concerns, I don't have the luxury to wait the 4 weeks for the heating system heat up and cool down the slab.

I'm wondering if anyone here has laid tiles prior to turning on the underfloor and if they have had any issues.

There's a few reasons why I think we will be ok...

1.There are expansion joints built into screed and I intend to put expansion joints in the tiles at these locations.

2. The underfloor is powered by Air to water unit and won't be subject to sudden bursts of heating and cooling, it will effectively be always on at a slow and steady rate.

Any advice or experience appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Have you temp heating on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Toby88

Ya I have Stove lighting and portable rads in. The screed is well dried out as it was never exposed to elements and was poured over 3 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

3 months should be more than sufficient time to dry out an 80mm screed and if you have temporary heating, I presume the house is up to correct temperature. Many houses get tiling installed before heating is commissioned. Are you using a decoupling mat under the tiling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

What you could do is get an external wills heater (about 35 euro) and connect that to the underfloor heating. It's a small heater the size of a kettle that heats the water which can then flow around the UFH pipes. It's very quick and easy to set up. Let it run for two or there days but keep a close eye on it. It can be removed in 6 weeks or whenever your Air to water heat pump arrives.

I've one currently heating my UFH as I ran out of money for the heat pump at the time. Higher running costs but my house is super insulated (passive) so not huge.

Advertisement