Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Maria on Saorview

Options
  • 27-11-2018 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

So I wrote to the BAI to get RMI's licence (they provided nothing hugely interesting in it.

Then I went to Dept of Comms asking for the Ministerial SI for RMI they said
    In relation to your query, the Department has received no application for Designation under section 130 of the Broadcasting Act 2009, therefore, there is no Statutory Instrument for Radio Maria Ireland as per the examples provided below. The links you included in your correspondence relate to television services and are not relevant in this instance as Radio Maria Ireland is a sound broadcaster.

The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland have confirmed that Radio Maria Ireland hold a (Section 71) Content Provision Contract. Under a Content Provision Contract, carriage of the service is negotiated between the contracting entity and the carriage provider or providers, including Saorview.

As you may be aware, Saorview is managed by 2rn and any agreement for carriage on this platform is a commercial decision for RTÉ and not a matter for this Department.

I replied
    Perhaps I am reading Section 130 Sub-Section 13 incorrectly:-

130.— (13) , A national sound multiplex established, maintained and operated by RTÉ under section 114 (1) (i) shall provide for the broadcasting by digital means of such other sound broadcasting services, having the character of a public service, as may be designated by the Minister by order.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Never ceases to amaze me how on the one hand we have the BAI imposing strict content and balance requirements on TV and radio stations, mandatory current affairs on music stations etc.

Then on the other hand we have radio stations which are outright propaganda with obscure funding and the BAI says that's perfectly ok because religion.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Never ceases to amaze me how on the one hand we have the BAI imposing strict content and balance requirements on TV and radio stations, mandatory current affairs on music stations etc.

Then on the other hand we have radio stations which are outright propaganda with obscure funding and the BAI says that's perfectly ok because religion.

I'd not like to be in a situation where we have a fox/cnn divide in news. Though I am sure people will always see a newstalk/RTÉ divide here.
    2FM don't have the same requirements as other music stations.
    I agree however that Phantom/TXfm could have been spared the News and Current Affairs part of their licence and other niche genre music channels, as long as they keep to their niche (e.g. Sunshine which is now easy listening :rolleyes: )

But to pick and choose the rules is daft.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

S130(13) refers to a sound broadcasting multiplex. But Radio Maria Ireland is being transmitted on a television broadcasting multiplex, and so that section isn’t applicable to it.

From what I can see, it’s intended to refer to a digital radio multiplex established by RTE and confers a power on the Minister to require the RTE to carry such services as may have the character of a public service on it. A similar power in s130(1)(a)(iv) does apply to Television multiplexes - IIRC it was used by the Minister to designate UTV Ireland.

Note that there’s nothing requiring that a channel be designated before it is carried on Saorview - see section 130(1)(d)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    S130(13) refers to a sound broadcasting multiplex. But Radio Maria Ireland is being transmitted on a television broadcasting multiplex, and so that section isn’t applicable to it.

From what I can see, it’s intended to refer to a digital radio multiplex established by RTE and confers a power on the Minister to require the RTE to carry such services as may have the character of a public service on it. A similar power in s130(1)(a)(iv) does apply to Television multiplexes - IIRC it was used by the Minister to designate UTV Ireland.

Note that there’s nothing requiring that a channel be designated before it is carried on Saorview - see section 130(1)(d)

It was also used for Irish TV and yes I agree I don’t believe it needs designation nor did UTV Ireland or Irish TV, but let’s see how the Dept deal with the question.

I don't think you get around it in 130 (1)(d) I think that is do to with new RTÉ services.

Advertisement