Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV License Inspector poses as postman with parcel to gain access to apartment block

Options
  • 26-11-2018 10:51pm

When I answered the video-intercom in my apartment a man presented An Post ID, and said he had a parcel to deliver and could I let him in. I suggested coming down to collect the parcel (I am actually expecting a rather delayed parcel and thought happy days had arrived) but he said it was for a neighbouring apartment so that if I let him in he would leave parcel in hall. In apartments one always has to be vigilant about not letting in anybody who might not be there for legitimate reasons. However he had showed his correct ID, he did look like a postman, and I let him in knowing just how annoying it can be to miss a parcel. A minute later my doorbell sounded and there he was when I opened the door to my first floor apartment. He asked me do I have abtrlevision. I replied “you know so have s television from my license payment records”. He said there was no such record of my having s tv license, and asked my name. Which I gave him. He then declared that his list indicated a man (gave me his name) was the main occupier, and had he been living here at any stage. I had never heard of this named man at any time, and he wasn’t the previous owner. He ended up calling out the man’s name again together with address without tv license, only the address he quoted is an apartment block half a kilometer away. Name is similar and people often confuse the two blocks. Realising he had wrong address he apologised. That was some data breach, the name and address of a person suspected of having tv without license on top of gaining entry to a private building by pretence. I got slightly suspicious, thinking on it after he left, and phoned my local Garda station, who sent a car to my area with view to intercepting him, verifying his identity and advising him about gaining entry in that manner. Anybody else have same or similar experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

An post do in fact collect the TV licence.

An post do in fact collect the TV licence.

I know they do, that’s whom I pay it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

definitely seems like a data breech, I would follow it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I know they do, that’s whom I pay it to.

So where’s the breaking and entry? You left him in the main door. From there he can knock on your door. You answered that.

The data breach is “is your name bob smith”. “No”.

He probably deliberately pretends to be looking for someone else, but will nail you 'while he's there'.

I wouldn't blame him. Tough job, I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Those inspectors are either ex Gardai or ex postmen who were sacked but can’t be let go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Most of them think they are Columbo.
    iconic-pose.png?w=279&h=212

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

The Tubridy tax collecters out harassing people would not surprise me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

oceanman wrote: »
    data breech

Data loading mechanism, or data positioned incorrectly in the womb?

So where’s the breaking and entry? You left him in the main door. From there he can knock on your door. You answered that.

The data breach is “is your name bob smith”. “No”.

Yes I let him in on the basis he was s postman delivering a parcel. That was a total and utter lie. He specifically said he had a parcel to deliver. I had a job in public service, and one thing you were never ever allowed to do is lie or deceive people. His employer should give proper guidelines about seeking access to any building. It is like as if he called to your door (if you live in a house) with his An Post hi vis and ID and said he has a parcel to bring in and said he would leave it on the table there at the top of the hall, you say to yourself what a considerate postman, and of course he is getting up close for a good listen to the sound of a television in one of your rooms. In the first place he had no right of entry without a Garda warrant, with accompanying Garda, and gaining entry by posing as a totally different type of employee of An Post is something that I bet he is officially not allowed to do.

• Advertisement

And don’t forget I ALWAYS comply with the law, always pay my due taxes as long as I’m living and of sound mind, and whatever I think of the RTE “stars” and their grossly inflated payments, I do believe in paying the TV license, even if I might protest greatly if D4bz might want almost double the fee. So I might get slightly indignant (but never impolite) if I inadvertently let an An Post official in and then he suggests I haven’t paid my license fee. I know it’s a tough job, and somebody has to do it, and indeed I reckon it’s a dangerous job, maybe best done by two people as witness to each other and each scenario, and one ready to summons help should they be endangered. I just think An Post need to be very careful about how they handle inspections and have a set of rules regarding seeking and gaining entrywhich must never be breached, plus of course ensuring no data breaches take place. As a precaution they should not call out the name of their suspected target but rather (after asking if a television is present and if a license exists), but verify the address of the house/apartment/premises. At this point it would have been discovered he was at wrong apartment, and indeed wrong estate altogether. Addresses can be most confusing, especially in my area with so many similar and soundalike names.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

The sooner Revenue commissioners take this over, the better.

The episode OP is describing is just grubby. Very fair point about never lying if in the public service

To give An Post their due, I have now received an email of sincere apology from them, with verification that I do indeed possess a TV license, and I’m satisfied that most probably a lesson has been learned. So if similar happens to anybody here it is well worth emailing in the details as they respond promptly. As I said to them, the man was at all times polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

When I answered the video-intercom in my apartment a man presented An Post ID, and said he had a parcel to deliver and could I let him in. I suggested coming down to collect the parcel (I am actually expecting a rather delayed parcel and thought happy days had arrived) but he said it was for a neighbouring apartment so that if I let him in he would leave parcel in hall. In apartments one always has to be vigilant about not letting in anybody who might not be there for legitimate reasons. However he had showed his correct ID, he did look like a postman, and I let him in knowing just how annoying it can be to miss a parcel. A minute later my doorbell sounded and there he was when I opened the door to my first floor apartment. He asked me do I have abtrlevision. I replied “you know so have s television from my license payment records”. He said there was no such record of my having s tv license, and asked my name. Which I gave him. He then declared that his list indicated a man (gave me his name) was the main occupier, and had he been living here at any stage. I had never heard of this named man at any time, and he wasn’t the previous owner. He ended up calling out the man’s name again together with address without tv license, only the address he quoted is an apartment block half a kilometer away. Name is similar and people often confuse the two blocks. Realising he had wrong address he apologised. That was some data breach, the name and address of a person suspected of having tv without license on top of gaining entry to a private building by pretence. I got slightly suspicious, thinking on it after he left, and phoned my local Garda station, who sent a car to my area with view to intercepting him, verifying his identity and advising him about gaining entry in that manner. Anybody else have same or similar experience?

Firstly, if you conduct any research that is of value in Ireland today, then DataProtection simply does Not apply to you.

Secondly, get some contacts down in Killarney, Co.Kerry. They have occupied at least one building w/fogies who don't know when to retire and working w/AnPost staff. They have the televisions from the town hooked up to the point that they can know which news item you read on teletext and from which television inside the Home in question <--. working w/police should I state.
    Borrowing ID from any AnPost would Not be an issue for these guys from my knowledge.

Anywhoo, you can phone your local station, but it seems to be 'Tough' <--> They have the badges and they are in power so GoodLuck.
    In your own area; find and try ID the technicians and/or electricians drafted in to conduct some of the work. Try get into their circles yourself or ANother and you'll find out what else they are doing on this island.

Hope that helps,
    kerry4sam

#ReadAllAboutIt

Advertisement