Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike rack for work commute

Options
  • 26-11-2018 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I drive half way to work and they cycle the rest of the week. I park on street. Currently I have to fold down the seats of my car and put the car in and I am getting quite sick of that!

I am looking to get a bike rack to attach to my car and feel secure enough to leave the rack attached to my car while I leave it parked.
    I don't want to come back to find that someone has pinched it.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a rack to get?

This one in Halfords looks nice but doesn't seem very secure (as in it looks easy to steal off the back of the car while parked)
    https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-racks/rear-mounted-bike-racks/saris-bones-black-2-bike-rear-cycle-carrier

I'd preferably like to only spend under €200 .

Any advice would be truly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Bike racks are all fairly easy to steal from an unattended car - security is not really part of the design, it's assumed that you'll be with the car, or nearby.

The only ones that are secure from theft are some of the ones that clamp on to a tow-ball, but if you don't already have a tow-hitch on your car, then it's not going to work with your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Big Eejit

Roof racks are lockable, but also beyond your budget.

My advice? Get a Halfords special and be prepared to ‘lose’ it. I see plenty of cars with these cheapo racks parked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Big Eejit

Big Eejit wrote: »
    Roof racks are lockable, but also beyond your budget.

My advice? Get a Halfords special and be prepared to ‘lose’ it. I see plenty of cars with these cheapo racks parked up.

Btw, I sold the very rack you linked to, unused, for 80 quid on adverts ie - and I waited a while for someone to put in an offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

You can also lock any rack to the car with a thin cable in through the boot seal to a luggage loop inside the boot (or to the rear towing eye, but most modern cars don't have a permanent on any more) - most thefts like this would be opportunistic, so that would probably be enough to put them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Another option is a rack that you can put on/off in seconds and leave it in the car when not in use.

Www.seasucker.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

You can get one of the cheap ones on adverts for 20eu

http://www.adverts.ie/16534604

Unlikely to be robbed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I personally wouldn't leave a bones on the back of the car. But I'd imagine you'd get quick at taking them on and off?

I used to use a Micks Garage one - it was left in several random spots around south county Dublin without getting robbed (I drive so far and then bike). I'd second getting a cheap one, like the adverts one. Unlikely to get robbed, but worst case scenario you arrive back at the car and it's gone, you can still put the bike in back.

fwiw, when I upgraded to a roof rack, it was far handier than rear mounted one in terms of loading times. You might just about stay under budget with the cheaper options, particularly if you don't have to be careful of a carbon frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Dr.TV wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I drive half way to work and they cycle the rest of the week. I park on street. Currently I have to fold down the seats of my car and put the car in and I am getting quite sick of that!

I am looking to get a bike rack to attach to my car and feel secure enough to leave the rack attached to my car while I leave it parked.
    I don't want to come back to find that someone has pinched it.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a rack to get?

This one in Halfords looks nice but doesn't seem very secure (as in it looks easy to steal off the back of the car while parked)
    https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-racks/rear-mounted-bike-racks/saris-bones-black-2-bike-rear-cycle-carrier

I'd preferably like to only spend under €200 .

Any advice would be truly appreciated!

Thanks

best option is to get one that attaches to your tow bar and lock it to that

there are a few good ones for around 150, thats what i paid for mine

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Dr.TV

Thanks everyone for your responses!
    I don't have a roof rack at the moment or a tow bar, so that rules some out :)

I have a good look around adverts to see if i can get a cheap good one so, that's a cool idea.

I may just have to get used to either putting the bike into the car or putting the rack into the car after each use :(

Advertisement