Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees from hardwood cuttings?

Options
  • 26-11-2018 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone's ever grown from hardwood cuttings other than hazel and willow.

I'd imagine it might work from spindle and maybe even holly, but I'd be really interested if anyone's tried something unusual and what the success rates were like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭accidental forester

We've had great success with what was called black poplar, might be a hybrid of some sort. My wife threw some discarded cuttings in bucket and they started rooting immediately. The ones we put in about 5 or 6 years ago are over 30 ft. tall now.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Just wondering if anyone's ever grown from hardwood cuttings other than hazel and willow.

I'd imagine it might work from spindle and maybe even holly, but I'd be really interested if anyone's tried something unusual and what the success rates were like.

My Granny stole a slip from a Metasequoia glyptostroboides (Dawn Redwood) from Kew gardens in 1947 and brought it home in a damp paper bag, its growing beautifully on my mums lawn now, possibly one of the oldest specimens in Ireland. Does this count (softwood not hardwood)?

In theory most hardwoods can be grown from cuttings with the correct treatment, some may need hormone treatment i.e. rooting compound or willow water.

I do know that Elder will grow from cuttings, we have had a few elder fenceposts sprout and grow over the years.

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Accidentally

Thank you both, always interesting to see what someone's managed to grow from a cutting.

No poplar around here that I'm aware of, but if I come across some I'll definitely give it a go. Also love the idea of taking slips from Kew.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I rooted an Eucalyptus cutting once. Don't know why it worked... They are generally grown from seed.

Always worth a try though. The commercial way may be the easiest and most successful but other ways may be possible.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Thud

My Granny stole a slip from a Metasequoia glyptostroboides (Dawn Redwood) from Kew gardens in 1947 and brought it home in a damp paper bag, its growing beautifully on my mums lawn now, possibly one of the oldest specimens in Ireland. Does this count (softwood not hardwood)?

tim

How big is it now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement