Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orbea Orca sizing...

Options
  • 26-11-2018 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

I'm decided on the Orca as my next bike. my only decision now is frame size.
    I am 5'8'' with legs probably average or a little below for my height.
    Currently riding a Medium Giant Defy, and in the past have rented size 54 in Cannondale, Specialized and Trek and found all fine.

On Saturday I rode a size 51 Orca (100 stem, 42 bars) and found it fantastic. I was thinking I'd deffo be a 53 in their sizing but now I'm unsure. Their size calculator on their site has me down for a 49 mind you! But that seems Crazy. The shop I'll be buying it from (Staggs) have very kindly said they'll have a 53 for me to try in a couple of weeks. So I'll do that before buying.

Anyone of my height got an Orca, and if so, what size?
    I know going small is preferable to too big if you are unsure, but I just want to get the right one.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I'm 5'7 and have a 51 Orca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I'm 5'7 and have a 51 Orca.

Very much leaning towards the 51 after Saturday, but will try the 53 and decide after that. Thank you.

Are you getting it customised? Orbea have a great colour customising set up for some of their bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Disregard the number, as every brand uses different ways to mesuare their frames, and focus on effective top tube / reach / stack. Try to get those right using your existing bike.

56cm cube Litening is actually smaller than my 54cm Cannondale Synapse.

Aegir wrote: »
    Are you getting it customised? Orbea have a great colour customising set up for some of their bikes.

Yep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭secman

Are you planning on getting a bike fit, might be worth while discussing it with a bike fitter, they tend to have the various manufacturers dimensions on their software and could offer advice on frame size ?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

I got an Orbea Orca last year and went for the size that most closely matched the stack and reach I was aiming for - based on a recent bike fit - and using the detailed geometry specs Orbea provide. That indicated a 55. I was apprehensive about that as I am c5'9" so it seemed way too big, but I checked with the bike fitter who said to trust the numbers(!) and Orbea who agreed with the approach.

And guess what - its great!

I know this doesn't directly help in that you are veering towards the smaller one but if you do have bike fit numbers, I'd say check out your stack and reach against the geometry of the model you're getting.

terrydel wrote: »
    Yep!

Jealous :o

Aegir wrote: »
    Jealous :o

Don't be, it's a hoor trying to choose from all those colours :P

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭sin_26

Galego wrote: »
    Disregard the number, as every brand uses different ways to mesuare their frames, and focus on effective top tube / reach / stack. Try to get those right using your existing bike.

56cm cube Litening is actually smaller than my 54cm Cannondale Synapse.

This^^
    Size means nothing. Stack and reach are the main figures to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Picture when it arrives please :) best of luck with it

sy wrote: »
    Picture when it arrives please :) best of luck with it

Thanks, will do indeed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,741 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's actually spelt 'litening'?
    that makes my face hurt.

it's actually spelt 'litening'?
    that makes my face hurt.

What?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,741 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that was a reference to Galego's mention of the Cube Litening.

Advertisement