Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow to Dublin Train

Options
  • 25-11-2018 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Looking for experiences from people that do this commute daily.

All the searches I do are 5+ years old.

Are the trains brimmed to capacity? Tough to do day in and out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

06.30, 07.03, 07.55 have capacity, the 08.55 can be standing from Carlow frequently (particularly in summer). Coming from Heuston 16.40/17.35/18.35 are usually standing room only but you should get a seat within 15-20 minutes but if your there 10-15 min before departure you should find a seat. 17.35 probally bussiest. Fridays are the worst but thats on most public transport.

It's not a bad service and punctuality is generally good. Probably best to buy a monthly ticket to start before moving to a taxsaver if that option is available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Too many Free Travel Pass holders on these services according to After Hours thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

gwalk wrote: »
    Too many Free Travel Pass holders on these services according to After Hours thread

Must be true so

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

More likely the crap capacity of the trains?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

Dont do it that often but when I do I never have a problem getting a seat at Carlow, return can be busy until it gets to Newbridge.

• Advertisement

There is a lot of passes but on all routes, IE could do more in terms of enforcement.

They cant really add more capacity even if they had it without increasing frequency which will unlikely happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    There is a lot of passes but on all routes, IE could do more in terms of enforcement.

They cant really add more capacity even if they had it without increasing frequency which will unlikely happen.

Unfortunately, there’s no room to increase capacity on the Waterford route (6 coach maximum) but in the next year I’d anticipate that the 16.15 Friday service will extend to the other 4 weekdays. This would greatly relieve a service that has gotten extremely busy everyday, let alone when an event like the ploughing or bloom is on.

Unfortunately, there’s no room to increase capacity on the Waterford route (6 coach maximum) but in the next year I’d anticipate that the 16.15 Friday service will extend to the other 4 weekdays. This would greatly relieve a service that has gotten extremely busy everyday, let alone when an event like the ploughing or bloom is on.

Talk of extending the 16.15 isn't new, I don't see it happening anytime soon. Ideally it would be good if they fix the schedule on Fridays.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Talk of extending the 16.15 isn't new, I don't see it happening anytime soon. Ideally it would be good if they fix the schedule on Fridays.

It is being mooted, however, driver numbers(quiet low) and lack of rolling stock is an issue. The 2700s have been consigned to history, so it’s another order from Rotem or a more sensible leasing arrangement from England.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

What factors determine the capacity or why is 6 the max on Waterford? is it length of platform? So, even if IR had extra carriages n the morning they couldn't put them on certain lines?

I once had someone waiting to meet me in Templemore but ether I never heard or they never made the announcement re moving up the carriages to get out so ended u having to go to Thurles and my lift having to drive after me :o

• Advertisement

What factors determine the capacity or why is 6 the max on Waterford? is it length of platform? So, even if IR had extra carriages n the morning they couldn't put them on certain lines?

I once had someone waiting to meet me in Templemore but ether I never heard or they never made the announcement re moving up the carriages to get out so ended u having to go to Thurles and my lift having to drive after me :o
    There’s no more “moving to the front in order to arrive at the platform safely “ All trains must fit the platform before doors are opened.
    The problem with Waterford line is the signaling and platform length in Kilkenny, complete lack of foresight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Qrt

There’s no more “moving to the front in order to arrive at the platform safely “ All trains must fit the platform before doors are opened.

One aspect of rail travel we get right. It’s rife in England!

The problem with Waterford line is the signaling and platform length in Kilkenny, complete lack of foresight.

Didn't know that thanks, But wow Kilkenny! I thought you were going to tell me it was some small station like Thomastown or Muie Bheag!

I used to think it was a pity there's no commuter train service south from KK but heard Barry Kenny say on radio they concentrate on getting people to Dublin for early am. Pity as only an hour. i know there's the M9 but then you need to own a car

The points about "moving forward to alight at the platform" are hilarious and further proof that CIE couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery. If the trains were fitted with Selective Door Opening (SDO) controlled by the driver this wouldn't be a problem. Also, what's wrong with the ancient system of paper signs in the windows telling passengers front two carriages for X destination rear two for Y destination?

I heard somebody on the radio recently suggesting paper signs on reserved seats...God help us talk about reinventing the wheel. As for the platform at Kilkenny another mad situation caused by Irish Rail abandoning the original station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

How can commuters make a 4:15 train?
    Do you mean the it would suit ftp holders?

Addle wrote: »

No. It would suit many commuters. The 16.40 was originally ran at 16.25 for years. Not all workers are 9-5, however, I take your point and would see this potential additional service as being perfectly complementary if the 6.00 from Waterford ran at an earlier time of say 5.15.
    Also, I know you maybe made the comment as tongue in cheek but the ftp scheme is only going to expand as our population ages. This along with the growing amount of workers and especially students commuting to Dublin (due in large part to the housing crisis) will present a massive problem for IE in the next decade. The railway needs massive investment in infrastructure maintenance and rolling stock to cater for these extra passengers, failing this, people can expect to be standing for larger parts of their journey.
    Therefore, any extra service that can be put on such as a 16.15 every day would be a huge addition.

In an ideal world the 16.15 would swap with 16.40. There would be little impact besides those for Kilkenny but generally 16.40 is more favourable for those goong to Waterford and 17.35 for Kilkenny but not based on actual stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Addle wrote: »

Not everyone works Dolly Parton hours.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The points about "moving forward to alight at the platform" are hilarious and further proof that CIE couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery. If the trains were fitted with Selective Door Opening (SDO) controlled by the driver this wouldn't be a problem. Also, what's wrong with the ancient system of paper signs in the windows telling passengers front two carriages for X destination rear two for Y destination?

I heard somebody on the radio recently suggesting paper signs on reserved seats...God help us talk about reinventing the wheel. As for the platform at Kilkenny another mad situation caused by Irish Rail abandoning the original station.[/QUOTE

Forgive my being dim and you having to spell it out for me - so the reason you can't have log trains on short platforms is H & S, passengers might open the door and jump out where there is no platform ? Hence you proposal for selective opening?

Funnily enough there's something to be said for the paper "reserved" signs except that there would be no staff to distribute them and it would cause too much delay. It's comical that we've had reserved seating for so long and people dont have a clue. I was like a broken record one morning recently telling numerous people that the seats opposite us were reserved from a few stations down. There were other seats available and I wanted to save them the trouble of being asked to move later when the train would be busier but there's no automatic tendency ingrained in us yet to look up and check.

Lastly, where was the station in KK before it moved to McDonagh junction?

Kilkenny Station was originally a through station with the 'main' line coming through from Portlaoise but when that line closed the station remained in the same place with a long platform and run round facility. The new station was moved back towards Dublin, the run round facility taken out and the platform shortened - see below.

kk%2Bstation.PNG

Selective Door Opening should have been in the specifications for the new Inter-City 22000 railcars but we are talking CIE here so it wasn't. It's not a revolutionary concept - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_door_operation

• Advertisement

The station location isn't the problem, the big slabof concrete behind the buffers which was put in during 2008 (lazy option to improve access). The main platform could more less take a 7 car if the buffers were moved back but H&S wouldn't allow them be shortened. Currently 6.5 carriages more less can fit.

Neither Irish Rail or Mc Donagh operate the new lift which has never been used. They blame one another about whos responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

gwalk wrote: »

Usually going to early morning appointments in Dublin hospitals
    Carlow, being sparsely populated, does not have the demand for a major regional hospital with every specialty. They do have a general hospital but it is missing some specialties that one would have to travel to Dublin for.

Why else would a senior citizen or someone with a serious ilness/disability be up and on an intercity train before 9am?

The demographic shift towards more disabled and more seniors started in 1989 and it was clear what major transport upgrades were needed as far back as 2005....yet MEtro, DART UNDERGROUND and Luas expansion were all killed in 2011 only to have the metro part restarted again but without any real intention to actually push it through.

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Usually going to early morning appointments in Dublin hospitals
    Carlow, being sparsely populated, does not have the demand for a major regional hospital with every specialty. They do have a general hospital but it is missing some specialties that one would have to travel to Dublin for.

Why else would a senior citizen or someone with a serious ilness/disability be up and on an intercity train before 9am?

The demographic shift towards more disabled and more seniors started in 1989 and it was clear what major transport upgrades were needed as far back as 2005....yet MEtro, DART UNDERGROUND and Luas expansion were all killed in 2011 only to have the metro part restarted again but without any real intention to actually push it through.

Good point re hospital appointments; grandparents also do a lot of babysitting when parents have childcare emergencies and I know a number who travel for that purpose. It's also the case that groups of retired people tend to go away for weekends to hotels around the country on various themed weekends, Bridge, Flower-Arranging, Heritage, Walking, whatever. Shared a carriage on Waterford /Dublin train with one such group; tho' lunchtime rather than early am.
    It's a result of having a healthier and more financially solvent older population and having got away from the era of Granny in her rocking chair. It has pluses and minuses, provides a tourism and spending boost for regional towns/cities but stress on an already inadequate P/T system. Maybe any F/T holder living on more than the non-contributory pension should have to pay a €5 minimum for inter-city travel? Issues collecting, maybe best for them to contribute through the tax system but over 65's already get an extra tax credit instead and Leo is going to give everybody back more of their own money!

Advertisement