Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22LR Ratshot

Options
  • 25-11-2018 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Anyone got any experience with these i got some rat around my house stealing food i leave out for the stray cats they are not much use considering i need to make this post but still family likes to have them around is 22lr ratshot out of a rifle effective within 15m and is it ok to shoot these through a sound mod.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭German pointer

cosieman wrote: »
    Anyone got any experience with these i got some rat around my house stealing food i leave out for the stray cats they are not much use considering i need to make this post but still family likes to have them around is 22lr ratshot out of a rifle effective within 15m and is it ok to shoot these through a sound mod.
    15 metres might be a bit far for them they're more effective at 5 - 10 . Do not use them with a mod as they start spreading at the muzzle and will damage the mod

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

I found them absolutely useless but have a go and you'll find out for your self

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Shot pigeons in sheds before with them. But yhe are useless after 5mtrs in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

And at 5 meters they only come back and spray you in the face. Don't bother with them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Subsonic be a better job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Benny mcc wrote: »
    And at 5 meters they only come back and spray you in the face. Don't bother with them

I had that experience years ago with a 9mm garden shotgun, not pleasant at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The only one I ever used was Eley rat shot. Might as well have gobbed at the rat for all the good it did.:mad: The rifling puts the dust shot pattern all over the place. Better off trying to get a .22[Flobert]BBcap.[Looks like a BB shot sitting on a primer] or a .22 short. You won't need a silencer for either, and they will work at the distances you are talking about.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Feed cats less, have them hunt rats.

Or put the food high enough that cats can get it and rats can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    The only one I ever used was Eley rat shot. Might as well have gobbed at the rat for all the good it did.:mad: The rifling puts the dust shot pattern all over the place. Better off trying to get a .22[Flobert]BBcap.[Looks like a BB shot sitting on a primer] or a .22 short. You won't need a silencer for either, and they will work at the distances you are talking about.

What dealers sell the flobert? Could be useful around the sheds

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Paddy Carley might have them...Kind of a ring everyone and hope for a hit.Let us know if you strike lucky?Could do with some myself.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

You could try CB Longs as well if you can get them I find them better than the shot. I tried the rat shot before, useless you'd have to be so close as you could nearly pick him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭minktrapper

You can get .22WMR with shot now.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Paddy Carley might have them...Kind of a ring everyone and hope for a hit.Let us know if you strike lucky?Could do with some myself.

Didn't get a chance to ring round today but will try tomorrow and I'll let you know if I find any bro

Advertisement