Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths help

Options
  • 25-11-2018 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I'm on Relative Velocity and it's those wind questions that are killing me! grrr. Not the calculating true velocity of wind ones, but the "calculate the direction a plane must travel in order to travel straight ones!". The rivers are grand, but them, they're really annoying! I cannot make sense of the diagrams. Can anyone show me exactly the logic behind them? Help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MathsNerd78

Say A is the aeroplane and W is the wind. If I put something in brackets, think of it as a subscript.
    Think of V(AW) as the direction the plane would travel in if there were no wind. V(A) is the direction that the plane must travel. This may be due west for example. V(W) is the velocity of the wind. A lot then depends on the information you are given in the question. If you are told the velocity of the aeroplane in still air then this is V(AW). You'll probably be given the velocity of the wind. Therefore, you just use the relationship V(AW) = V(A) - V(W), in which case V(A) = V(AW)+V(W).

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭c_f_p99

Thank you. Although it's when they ask for the angle of flight (from the horizontal or vertical) when it becomes tricky. I suppose just drawing the straight path (vertical) with the direction of the wind (on the right side for south-west and north west) and vice-versa is how I've taught myself to do it. They are still probably the hardest thing in Relative Velocity, imo.

Advertisement