Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

front light

Options
  • 25-11-2018 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

just wondering are you supposed to have your front light flashing or just at ON when cycling? does a flashing front light annoy motorists? In my opinion I would find that a flasher will be quicker to spot on the road than a front light. Told by a cyclist one day that a front flasher annoys motorists. opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Amprodude wrote: »
    just wondering are u supposed to have your front light flashing or just on when cycling? does a flashing front light annoy motorists? In my opinion I would find that a flasher will be quicker to spot on the road than a front light.

It's ilegal but doesn't stop people doing so.

Get a good bright light and angle it correctly.

One on your helmet would be a great extra to have and stand out more.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

A poorly aligned and bright flashing light can be annoying for everyone. That is a light that is pointed too far upwards and or poorly focused. For me I have both a flash and a constant. Once they are lined up correctly I wouldn't worry about annoying others, the flashing certainly makes you stand out in an urban environment imo.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's ilegal but doesn't stop people doing so.

Thought they had changed that a few years back

Having said that I ride unlit roads and always have mine steady.

There are a few going around with lights brighter then those from a ufo and the strobe function is so dangerous to the point especially in rain you can't see anything in front or past the cyclist....

Beasty wrote: »
    Thought they had changed that a few years back

Having said that I ride unlit roads and always have mine steady.

I wasn't aware but if I'm wrong I apologise.

I haven't any issues at all once they are not pointing upwards and are like a 1,000,000 lumen or something like a good few are going around with.

I believe the rear is the most important to stand out either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i find them irritating if someone with a bright one cycles the opposite way on a path, at the same time for my own safety i point mine up, too many plonkers turning on to main roads who cant seem to see a pointed down or straight beam

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,425 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Generally what annoys motorists is the fact that they actually noticed the cyclist.

It's their problem. The main purpose of the light is to get noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

the way I see it there are many assh_les on the road driving that are dangerous and for my safety I would rather be noticed than be irritating motorists because my light is annoying them. my safety first. my light is 500 lumens it's enough to be seen but not enough to absolute blind someone. That's what I said to the person that said it to me about the flasher. Mighy sound like I'm selfish but life is precious and I don't want to be killed because someone didn't see me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Are you riding with a 500lm light in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Are you riding with a 500lm light in the city?

country roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Flashing lights are legal. They didn't use to be, but they are now.

It's in the Legislation thread. I'll have a quick look.

EDIT:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88738845&postcount=25

I assume that if you have a less powerful light it's better to be on flash. If you have a powerful headlight, it's probably overkill for it to be flashing, though if you angle it down a good bit, it's not going to dazzle others.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,425 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

country roads.
    Take me home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have two lights on the front, one flashing, one not.
    i have a notion in my head that it's harder to gauge distance with a flashing light.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lads with MTB setups on their head who don't dim are the worst.

My rear is a slow pulse aimed down so the whole rear wheel and road surface is red. Like a wingtip of a 747. Front is solid on but aimed ~5m ahead of me as a pothole spotter. The side glare from it is still visible 80m off no problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a notion in my head that it's harder to gauge distance with a flashing light.
    actually, i should point out that the reason i have two lights in the first place is probably more to do with redundancy.

I remember the argument that it was harder for drivers to judge distance with flashing lights, and that tired and drunk drivers had a tendency to start drifting towards flashing lights.

On the first, there's this:
    https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/bicycle-lights-too-bright-blinking-problems
    On the second, there's this:
    http://www.visualexpert.com/Resources/motheffect.html

I don't use flashing. I used to for a while, then stopped, then started again, then stopped again. Appropriately enough.

I suspect both effects are pretty irrelevant for cyclists in the city, and possibly elsewhere.

I should say I have no basis for my last post! So if you believe either of these things, go right ahead believing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Two steady usb recharged lights and one simply battery operated flashing light on front. Wary these days, and do at times go through unlit or poorly lit places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... I would rather be noticed than be irritating motorists because my light is annoying them. my safety first....
    I'd rather be noticed and not irritate motorists. It could compromise your safety.

Many of the cheap lights available nowadays throw loads of light in every direction. Most of it is simply wasted lighting up overhead trees and the sides of the road. German regulations are very strict regarding bicycle lights and their lights are designed to throw a focused beam which does not distract/annoy motorists. Flashing lights are illegal there.

I have a couple of these:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/trelock-ls-950-control-ion-front-light-40233

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭ted1

just wondering are you supposed to have your front light flashing or just at ON when cycling? does a flashing front light annoy motorists? In my opinion I would find that a flasher will be quicker to spot on the road than a front light. Told by a cyclist one day that a front flasher annoys motorists. opinions?

Flashing is banned in Germany as it attracts drunk drivers. And can cause issues fir people with epilepsy

Many of the cheap lights available nowadays throw loads of light in every direction.
    that's one of the reasons i use one of the aldi rechargeable ones on the rear, but not the front (even though i bought one for the front); my front lights are far more directional than the aldi one, which i have on what i think is its lowest brightness setting (but flashing)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

silverharp wrote: »
    i find them irritating if someone with a bright one cycles the opposite way on a path, at the same time for my own safety i point mine up

Posts like this make me sad...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I think flashing is good for motorists to see you where you're coming down their inside. I always fear some clown will get annoyed in their lane and decide to suddenly change tack and pull into you, flashing light makes this less likely I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

I use flashing in heavy car traffic, steady at all other times.

When I'm approaching any 'known' blackspots, I will angle it up more to ensure I can definitely be seen and hopefully attract attention in a wing mirror or at a quick glance. Though as with everything, if drivers don't look for you, they won't see you no matter how bright/flashy your light.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'd rather be noticed and not irritate motorists. It could compromise your safety.

Many of the cheap lights available nowadays throw loads of light in every direction. Most of it is simply wasted lighting up overhead trees and the sides of the road. German regulations are very strict regarding bicycle lights and their lights are designed to throw a focused beam which does not distract/annoy motorists. Flashing lights are illegal there.

I have a couple of these:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/trelock-ls-950-control-ion-front-light-40233

I have one of these:
    https://www.bikelightdatabase.com/busch-muller/ixoncoreflash/

Not a bad comparison website, actually.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Flashing is alright, only a bit more distracting that steady. The worst is strobe, particularly if the light isn't angled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I have the same trelock light as WA as well as a cateye 400 lumen light that I sometimes use in flashing mode. I'm travelling to work these days just as its getting dark and I find the flashing light annoying (to me) on unlit parts of my ride so switch between flashing and solid on. I tend to set it to flash once I'm around traffic - usually after Blakes X, going towards Swords

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

The lighting of vehicle regulations probably need an update, with regard to all vehicle types such has been the change in technology over last 10 years or so. Won't be worth much with some Garda training and enforcement.

With cars even dipped lights on a lot of newer cars, whether due to focus, diffuser or power can be blinding. The one eyed bandit is as common as ever; a change in law making spare bulbs compulsory and the fitting simple (Renault I looking at you) would be a start.

A cut and paste of German Stvo laws wouldn't be a bad start with bikes.

You don't need a lot of power to see very well. I have a dynamo light with a 100 lux output, which probably has less than 300 lumens but it's a brilliant light to use. Its beam isn't unlike WA's Trelock 950 which I've also used or the other linked B&M light. Too much light power spread everywhere will cause reflection(from cables, signs etc, which causes your eye aperture to narrow meaning you see less...

Old thread here on rear lights
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93376592&postcount=61

Advertisement