Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened The Gypsy on Rose Aston Quay

Options
  • 24-11-2018 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey,
    Not that it matters. Clearly its too late.
    Does anybody know what happened The Gypsy Rose Rock and Blues bar on Aston Quay.

It changed hands months ago and now its some hipster dive that plays Phil Collins. Its called RIOT now. It totally sucks.....

The Gypsy Rose was an honest bar (not saying it was perfect), i used to end up there once a month. Its was a little gem from the recession era.
    I miss the place!!

Apart from Fibbers & Bruxelles where else is there for Rock?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

It's been gone well over a year now. Those are the only two options you just listed. Tempest is a new R&M night that only happens on occasion though it has only been on two random nights so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 blindmelon

Thanks man...
    Such a pity...things are changing a lot around town. Its going back to the way it was pre-crash.

Passenger wrote: »
    It's been gone well over a year now. Those are the only two options you just listed. Tempest is a new R&M night that only happens on occasion though it has only been on two random nights so far.

blindmelon wrote: »
    Thanks man...
    Such a pity...things are changing a lot around town. Its going back to the way it was pre-crash.

Yeah, thst's exactly it. Though the social aspect of the R&M scene has died. Even Fibs and Brux are shadows of their former selves, so much so that they're not even worth bothering with anymore.

Bruxelles is coming back a little bit...still a bit touristy but the Metal section has stopped playing Beyonce...(it happened)..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

blindmelon wrote: »
    Bruxelles is coming back a little bit...still a bit touristy but the Metal section has stopped playing Beyonce...(it happened)..

I've been there a few saturdays over the last 6 months or so and it's always been good craic, it is a bit touristy but as long as the music is good and the gargle isn't too pricey then i'm easy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

On the Rox in Smithfield (above the Voodoo Lounge) is your only other option (afaik), not sure if they're open every day but I saw Pat McManus there a few months ago and they have regular gigs. Decent little spot, albeit very small. I was chatting to the lad who runs it soon after it opened a few years back and he was saying he ran Fibbers on the quays for the short period it existed but it was owned by main Fibbers on Parnell st and they closed it before giving him a chance to properly get it going, said the arrangement with Voodoo lounge gives him far more ownership of OTR.

On The Rox is only open when there's a gig on or if there's an after party for a gig held in the Voodoo.

On The Rox is only open when there's a gig on or if there's an after party for a gig held in the Voodoo.

Ah okay, thought that might be the case, it used to be open as a regular pub when it launched but the one time I was there it was pretty dead so not surprised that it was scaled back.

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Ah okay, thought that might be the case, it used to be open as a regular pub when it launched but the one time I was there it was pretty dead so not surprised that it was scaled back.

Lol, you're about 4 years behind. That manager left OTR 3 years ago. It was only a bar for a few months after opening anyway. It's long been off the R&M radar.

Passenger wrote: »
    Lol, you're about 4 years behind. That manager left OTR 3 years ago. It was only a bar for a few months after opening anyway. It's long been off the R&M radar.

haha fair enough so, went the once when it opened and thought must come back again and moved out of Smithfield soon after so never went back until the Pat McManus gig a while ago.

Live 10 minutes from Fibbers now but rarely visit as it doesn't really do it for me anymore, place has changed so much since I used to frequent and gotten really pricey as well. To be honest I started losing interest in Gypsy as well when they closed half the basement, would much rather it though than the new place, went in their once to check it out and hated it.

• Advertisement

Its a pity the way things have gone...Eammon Dorans was great. People complained about it, but there were always gigs on there and it was open late whenever i was there. The rock scene made a big come back about 10 years ago. Now its sort of gone again.
    I've heard of on the Rox, my band were supposed to play there but a band member emigrated. We were playing captain americas and the hard rock cafe, all those gigs have stopped now as well. Im thinking of forming a new band but not sure where we'd even play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

It should be added that the barmaids in the Gypsy were a wonder to look at.

Absolutely..... :)

Advertisement