Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Civilization for a Noob?

Options
  • 24-11-2018 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭

As title, really... Which Civ would you recommend to someone completely new to the series (pretty new to turn based grand strategy in fact)? Basically, which of the more recent titles (so IV, V or VI) offers the most fun? Or even least frustration! What about DLC - are some more recommended than others?

Obviously, taste is subjective. But maybe those Civilization veterans amongst you could give pros and cons for each?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

I got Civ 5, but it shouldn't really matter - the Civ games are fairly easy access to the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

some argue that Civ 4 was the best.
    I however i got Civ 5 and completely happy and enjoyed many hours, wasn't too found of the religion expansion.
    I haven't got Civ 6, and tbh didn't look to getting it as don't have the hours to sink into it but my initial impression is that they are getting to detailed. Micromanaging just ain't my thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I preferred 5 to 6. 6 just bored me to tears for some reason but the new weather system xpack could be interesting. Probably give it pass myself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I got Civ 5, but it shouldn't really matter - the Civ games are fairly easy access to the genre.
    Fair enough re: ease of access, but they're all different games too, rather than just reskins of the same thing, right? So is one installment better/more fun than others?
    Laviski wrote: »
    some argue that Civ 4 was the best.
    I however i got Civ 5 and completely happy and enjoyed many hours, wasn't too found of the religion expansion.
    I haven't got Civ 6, and tbh didn't look to getting it as don't have the hours to sink into it but my initial impression is that they are getting to detailed. Micromanaging just ain't my thing.
    I don't mind microing if I feel like it's not just there for the sake of it, if that makes sense?
    Lone Stone wrote: »
    I preferred 5 to 6. 6 just bored me to tears for some reason but the new weather system xpack could be interesting. Probably give it pass myself
    Thanks - this is the kind of info opinion I'm after!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Fair enough re: ease of access, but they're all different games too, rather than just reskins of the same thing, right? So is one installment better/more fun than others?

I think you'll find that most studios games these days are just iterations on the previously published title, and the Civ series would be no exception. Some sequels may have significantly changed game elements or play style, but these would be the exception rather than the rule.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

6 is great with Rise and Fall expansion.

If you're getting 5 then get Vox Populi.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

5 or 6 are great and I spent many, many hours on both (and will be spending more hours with 6 when the expansion happens in February). They're quite different in how they play from a mechanics pov, so I'd suggest some YouTubes from people like Marbozir or Quill18 or there's an Irish chap who goes by PotatoMcWhiskey cause I guess if you're gonna Tube them Yous, you gotta lean into the paddy thing like Jack Septiceye :D

I've not played with Vox Populi on 5, but I believe it's still getting updates which is usually a sign that it's a good addition. Whichever version you play, make sure you get the CQUI mod installed cause it makes the interface work much better :)

5 or 6 I wouldn't go back any further.
    4 was released in 2005 so is getting on a bit now.

Civ V complete is €11,26 on steam at the moment,
    6 witb rise and fall is €40 discounted.
    Rise ans fall is a good expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Thanks for all the replies. Given the price, I picked up Civ V Complete there on Steam (had about a tenners credit already on my account). If I'm smart, I won't install it until after my exams in a couple of weeks, but I'll watch a few vids in the meantime. Thanks again!

Watch some videos of Marbozir, you'll find him on youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Likely wait a while before playing the latest Civ 6. I've played this for past month (after a steam sale + expansion pack) and for find its not as intuitively playable as say Civ 5. The next expansion pack, due Q1 of next year might fix this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Tried Civ V but never found the tutorial terribly helpful. Will try and give it another go soon.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Civ 4 can also be very unforgiving in terms of defending against deathstacks. Military is easier in Civ 5/6. Better too, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

My favs are 3,4 and 5 in three and four you can mostly take over the whole map and conquer cities without penalties. Maybe start with 5 but even i find myself coming back to the two previous ones.

Civ 1 is the only Civ

civ-1.jpg?strip=all

• Registered Users Posts: 28,716 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

^^ Jaysus! Nostalgia... the amount of hours I sunk into that on an Amiga and the number of times I realised that my "one more turn" led to 4AM bedtimes was ridiculous! :P

I have 5 Complete myself and played a fair bit of it. Haven't bought 6 as it was getting mixed/not great reviews there initially, plus I don't have the time I did in those early days. I am kinda itching for something I can put a few hours into a week if the opportunity arises so might have a few more rounds of 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Civ4 i would consider to be the Creme de la Creme of the Civ games, CIV5 in a close second.

I may be slightly bias as 4 was the first CIV i was able to invest time in when i was gainfully unemployed years ago.

The next expansion for Civ 6, Gathering Storm, was announced a few weeks ago, due out in February. I'm sure you'll be able to pick up Civ 6 + Rise and Fall for cheap in the coming weeks.

Advertisement