Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I don't give a damn" movies

Options
  • 24-11-2018 5:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭

Here are two that I can think of. They both deal with the ordinary boring stresses of live. If you've seen these two movies you'll know what I'm talking about. I also think that these two are definitely films that men might be more inclined to relate to.

'American Beauty'
    'Office Space'

Because there are so few of these kinds of movies made, it makes me wonder how much political influence there is behind most movies that are made. Do post a few more examples if you can think of any.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Happiness (1998)
    About Schmidt (2002)
    Punch-Drunk Love (2002)
    American Splendor (2003)
    The Machinist (2004)
    Factotum (2005)
    Nightcrawler (2014)
    I, Daniel Blake (2016)
    Brad's Status (2017)
    Lucky (2017)

The original Trainspotting.
    Scarface, 1932 and 1983, the latter being the best with Al Pacino

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Sideways (2004)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Brregzit

Happiness (1998)
    About Schmidt (2002)
    Punch-Drunk Love (2002)
    American Splendor (2003)
    The Machinist (2004)
    Factotum (2005)
    Nightcrawler (2014)
    I, Daniel Blake (2016)
    Brad's Status (2017)
    Lucky (2017)
    Thank you

Nightcrawler is a very good movie. I'm not too sure how it ties in with what I've described, but it's the only movie I've seen from that list.

I'll be revisiting this list!

The original Trainspotting.
    Scarface, 1932 and 1983, the latter being the best with Al Pacino
    How is 'Scarface' about the boring stresses of life that we can all relate to? What does it have in common with 'Office Space'? I'm guessing it's one of these 'God Father' kind of movies with lots of violence. Not something we can all relate to.

You're thinking of crime movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Office Space surely has to be right up there on top of the list, that well known scene resonates with anyone who ever worked in an office.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,538 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Falling Down
    /End Thread

Hurrache wrote: »
    Office Space surely has to be right up there on the list.
    Yeah it's already mentioned in the original post.

Yeah. Despite it being in the very first post I still managed to miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

The matrix! The start at least...

• Advertisement

Network just popped into my head, that's another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Glengarry Glen Ross

and

Clerks

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

All The Pretty Horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Brregzit wrote: »
    Thank you

Nightcrawler is a very good movie. I'm not too sure how it ties in with what I've described, but it's the only movie I've seen from that list.

I'll be revisiting this list!
    I know the type of films you're talking about, but it's hard to pinpoint exact types, as consideration of the criteria is somewhat suggestive.

Nightcrawler is a better suggestion than Scarface and The Matrix, anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭buried

"F**k it Dude, lets go Bowling"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Gone With the Wind :P

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

The Weatherman
    High Fedelity

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Dogs in Space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

A Serious Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

Eraserhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

'Waiting' is a decent slacker comedy in the vein of Office Space, the hijinks that the staff get up to to alleviate boredom and deal with fussy customers and intrusive managers.... will probaby discourage you from ever eating in a franchise restaurant ever again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Taxi Driver from 1976.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Extract
    Friends with Money
    Adventureland
    Little Miss Sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

God Bless America might fit the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Nuns on the run
    Another 48 hours
    To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar

I honestly have no idea whats going on in this thread...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think "I don't give a damn" doesn't quite describe what the OP is referring to from those movies. I think a better definition of what Office Space and American Beauty have in common is cynicism or disillusionment with modern life, or a specific part of modern life, rather than an overall nihilistic attitude. A kind of existential angst.

Office Space approaches it from a satirical, comedic point of view, American Beauty is a pretentious, 'emo' kind of approach.

Some films with similar themes:

The Truman Show is almost a metatextual commentary on the entire idea of modern existentialism - it takes the idea of someone being convinced that a portion of their life (such as the day-to-day monotony of an office job) is absurd and meaningless, and it makes that metaphor about an entire life.
    Synecdoche, NY
    Burn After Reading
    A Serious Man (and generally most of the Coen Brothers work)
    I Heart Huckabees
    I think the "Mr Anderson" portions of The Matrix are very much on this theme, and before the film shifts into 'the real world', it's very much an existential angst movie.
    Blade Runner
    Fight Club (this film itself has become a weird meta-existential problem, where idiots have taken the iconography of the film, which the film clearly is disgusted by, and adopted it)
    Donnie Darko

Some films that begin with similar themes but ultimately find existential redemption:
    Anomalisa
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Groundhog Day

Also I think this style of film is distinct from more '**** this world' kind of films, which are more angry at certain systems or organisations. Most war films tend to fall into this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Jerry Maguire
    Magnolia

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Hud
    Lonely Are the Brave
    Little Fauss and Big Halsy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭buried

Withnail & I (1987)- Well one of the f**kers most really is the "I don't give a damn" sort and the other ladeen sorta does give a damn but is reliant on outside forces and sheer luck to force him into gving a damn

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) - "The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon."

Dead Mans Shoes (2004) - Paddy Considine really really doesnt give a damn in this and its great

Harakiri (1962) - Tsugumo Hanshirō is another lad who really really does not give a damn in this too. The payoff in this is ridiculous enjoyable. The first time I watched it I got goosebumps. I wish I could watch it again for the first time again.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

What, no mention of The Big Lebowski? The Dude has to be the ultimate slacker. :cool:

Another one that springs to mind: Bulworth. A politician (Warren Beatty) is so disillusioned that he puts out a contract on his own life, and uses the time he has left to speak his mind ... by rapping. At the beginning of his second term, President Obama even privately joked about "Going Bulworth".

PS for some reason, I just started thinking about HANA-BI, Takeshi Kitano's breakthrough movie. It's a partial fit, since his character clearly gives a damn about his wife and his disabled friend, but stops giving a damn about everything else.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement