Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door thermal break

Options
  • 24-11-2018 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have doors coming soon from a provincial joinery company. Rep mentioned that they'll only fit doors to a concrete floated base. I emailed the tech department and their detail for all doors (including passive range) shows the screed going under the door.

The plan was to sit the doors on Compacfoam fixed to a Quinnlite block.

Has anyone used this product (or similar) under doors. Has anyone used anything but concrete under the door. And would a foam product be suitable under a 3.3m lift and slide triple glazed aluclad door.

I will be talking to my engineer next week on this issue, but would appreciate your experiences.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I’ve done both load bearing foam blocks, or angles with EPS. Devil is the detail. Detail is by your engineer (does he typically detail thermal bridge details?)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

Compacfoam - load bearing insulation with conductivity of about 0.037. Not cheap but well worth it. More robust than foam glass and you can screw into it.

I know a company in Galway supplies it, not sure where else you could get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Who2

All lift and slide doors have to be fitted into a solid concrete base at 185mm wide in poured concrete. No guarantees otherwise. With lift and slide if there is so much as a 1mm drop in the wrong spot they can act up. Just put a high density foam to the face of the base and pour your step or ramp into it.

Who2 wrote: »
    All lift and slide doors have to be fitted into a solid concrete base at 185mm wide in poured concrete. No guarantees otherwise..
    Where are you getting this from?

BryanF wrote: »
    Where are you getting this from?

I work with most of the window companies and it’s been stipulated a good while now.

• Advertisement

Who2 wrote: »
    I work with most of the window companies and it’s been stipulated a good while now.

If you wouldn’t mind PM’ing me any guarantee/literature that states this. Thanks

BryanF wrote: »
    If you wouldn’t mind PM’ing me any guarantee/literature that states this. Thanks

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

MJ are happy to sign off on Compacfoam. Pour your level concrete base down the required amount to ensure good overlap with the floor Insulation & fix the compacfoam with conc anchors. It’s superior to the conc base it’s easier to screw in to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Who2, could I get that detail also please, have a similar job need doing at home in the new year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Advertisement