Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N/M 7

Options
  • 24-11-2018 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Beware!!!

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/2-speed-vans-deployed-m7-monday-onwards-deter-speeding-motorists/259026

Often wonder how the people we have here managing these roadworks have a job. That reference to the truck going though the central barrier - I have driven all over Europe in an artic & where lanes on Mways were reduced in width or less lanes, NO vehicle over a certain weight were allowed out of the inside lane. I was passed during this past week by an expressway BE bus.

Crazy stuff here!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Beware!!!

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/2-speed-vans-deployed-m7-monday-onwards-deter-speeding-motorists/259026

Often wonder how the people we have here managing these roadworks have a job. That reference to the truck going though the central barrier - I have driven all over Europe in an artic & where lanes on Mways were reduced in width or less lanes, NO vehicle over a certain weight were allowed out of the inside lane. I was passed during this past week by an expressway BE bus.

no mention was made of where the barrier the truck crashed through was, may not have been the central barrier, which in any case is some distance from the live lanes due to the roadworks. Trucks are permitted to use the outer lane on the N7. Coaches are permitted to use any lane ,even on a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Speed is the issue here. Plain and simple.

If all these expert drivers would slow down to the 60 limit, they might stop wrecking the place every time they smash their way through the traffic and barriers.

That traffic jam was torture to sit through. I really hope hard sanctions are brought upon the driver that caused it. And any other driver caught speeding in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I just drove it recently I switched on cruise control at 59km/h, wasn't taking any chances and I assumed the speed limit was taken already. What is the real disgrace here is the length of time its taking and pathetic progress being made. This would be opened long ago in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

theguzman wrote: »
    I just drove it recently I switched on cruise control at 59km/h, wasn't taking any chances and I assumed the speed limit was taken already. What is the real disgrace here is the length of time its taking and pathetic progress being made. This would be opened long ago in China.

in all probability you were doing about 55/56 then. I know my speedo is 4% inaccurate or thereabouts and set my cc accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Isambard wrote: »
    no mention was made of where the barrier the truck crashed through was, may not have been the central barrier, which in any case is some distance from the live lanes due to the roadworks. Trucks are permitted to use the outer lane on the N7. Coaches are permitted to use any lane ,even on a motorway.

As far as I know, no country other than Ireland permits vehicles over a certain weight to drive in an outside lane where roadworks are ongoing. And remember the lanes on the N/M 7 are reduced in width too.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    in all probability you were doing about 55/56 then. I know my speedo is 4% inaccurate or thereabouts and set my cc accordingly.

Since the speed vans came along I just stick to what it says on the needle as I can't stick the psychological torture of watching the letter box and not knowing, if the Guards catch you then at least you know where you stand as they will give you a bollocking and you know the fine is coming. I would vote for Hitler himself if he vowed to get rid of those Speed Vans. Fixed Speed Camera's would be a far more equitable solution and you could have list of them in your GPS or Phone, but you never know where the van is going to be once you roam outside your typical home county etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I would vote for Hitler himself if he vowed to get rid of those Speed Vans. Fixed Speed Camera's would be a far more equitable solution and you could have list of them in your GPS or Phone, but you never know where the van is going to be once you roam outside your typical home county etc.
    eh... surely that's the point?
    what's the point in having cameras to discourage people speeding if people know exactly where they are?
    all you'd be doing is discouraging them from speeding in very specific spots. you may as well not have them at all in that scenario.
    it'd be like the police or security announcing they're going to protect 6 specific bank branches in the city centre as a way of discouraging bank robbers from robbing from *any* bank branch.

Because speed is only one factor and the punishment is not correlating to the fine. Three years on your licence is a disgrace, why not tar and feather a man altogether. Private Enterprise should not be involved in any aspect of policing or law enforcement like this.

Because speed is only one factor and the punishment is not correlating to the fine. Three years on your licence is a disgrace, why not tar and feather a man altogether. Private Enterprise should not be involved in any aspect of policing or law enforcement like this.

Although, even if it was a Garda van You would still get 3 points if caught speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Came through it northbound today. No change despite the media reporting of a clampdown. But watching a BE coach speed past me at what had to be 100kph makes you despair.

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Came through it northbound today. No change despite the media reporting of a clampdown. But watching a BE coach speed past me at what had to be 100kph makes you despair.

That clampdown is only commencing from Monday 26th...if the reports are accurate.

As I mention below, I was behind an artic when that BE passed on the outside. The BE driver had to brake as He/She tried to pass the artic...crazy driving!

Although, even if it was a Garda van You would still get 3 points if caught speeding.

That would be alot more acceptable to me, because they are the Gardai; a force I have respect for and who are motivated to enforce the law, not profit from it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i love it when speeding motorists get moralistic about who actually caught them breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

That would be alot more acceptable to me, because they are the Gardai; a force I have respect for and who are motivated to enforce the law, not profit from it.

To both of those points, if GoSafe catch someone speeding the fine is still issued by Gardai as far as I understand, as they review the pictures, etc. GoSafe is little more than an agent specifically authorised and contracted to record the acts of speeding. Secondly, since GoSafe are paid a flat rate and the state keep fine revenue suggestions of profiting from the law are typically overblown. Or should the Gardai be banned from using external vendors completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Beware!!!

Funny you should mention that. I was alongside a BE bus through the roadworks late last week. Constantly and aggressively changing lanes.

Funny you should mention that. I was alongside a BE bus through the roadworks late last week. Constantly and aggressively changing lanes.

I was on the southbound carriageway last night going home. Was passed by a BE x12, the bus pulled in to the inside lane after passing and then an artic came past me, but he couldn't get past the bus...kept trying, kept braking.

Madness!!!

Advertisement