Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently Virgin Media -> considering switch to Eir

Options
  • 22-11-2018 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Appreciate advice on this.
    I'm with Virgin but considering switch to eir. I would like to get their free sports packages.

I live in Dublin9 area and their website says I don't have Fibre to the home (FTTH) when I enter eircode, but the cabinet is on my street and is fibre enabled.

I spoke with a sales rep who took my address and details and said if I buy their standard fibre package and request FTTH then within a short time frame they'd upgrade me. I paste the snippet of conversation below. TBH I don't trust them.

What do you think?

You

[3:07:16 PM]
    :) Can you offer any assurance that they would install it for me, and what type of timeframe would it be?

REDACTEDname(eir rep)
    [3:07:34 PM]
    Yes, the installation wil be done within 3-5 working days

You
    [3:08:20 PM] I'm talking about the Fibre-to-home 1,000 package. That would be available to install within 3-5 working days?

REDACTEDname(eir rep)
    [3:08:50 PM]
    After the Fibre to the cabinet installation contact us after 48 hours to get FTTH connection

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The cabinet is for FTTC, you're in an FTTC area. Unless you've other evidence to suggest you should be FTTH, its FTTC for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Believe nothing a sales person tells you, without great evidence to confirm it.

I expect there will be a change in eir sports channels next year due to a change in who will have the rights to various sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

There is no FTTH from either open eir or SIRO in Dublin 9 so how they would upgrade you I don't know. You've been lied to I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Sales agents are liars in general. They'd tell you the earth was flat if it got them a sale.

Eir are losing the BT channels to Sky from August so just eir sports left then.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 hudsonn

The problem with Eir is that their support is awful. Chat on the website is next to useless - all operators are based in India and have to refer any query to someone else - but only after wasting your time taking all of your details and then telling you they are not in a position to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

hudsonn wrote: »
    The problem with Eir is that their support is awful. Chat on the website is next to useless - all operators are based in India and have to refer any query to someone else - but only after wasting your time taking all of your details and then telling you they are not in a position to help.

Eir have never had operators based in India. Just Indian staff in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

You've been lied to I'm afraid.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Ridiculous misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 hudsonn

ED E wrote: »

I just assumed that the delays in getting to chat to an operator were because it was outsourced to a massively understaffed offshore call centre.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I would never advise anyone to move from Virgin Media 260+meg internet to copper based cabinet FTTC services. Depending on how far your home is from the cabinet you could find yourself with internet speeds ranging anywhere from maximum 100 meg (if your beside the cabinet) and as low as 7 meg (1.5km+ from cabinet).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

ED E wrote: »

Mmm..
    Maybe they should pay Irish staff more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Gonzo wrote: »
    I would never advise anyone to move from Virgin Media 260+meg internet to copper based cabinet FTTC services. Depending on how far your home is from the cabinet you could find yourself with internet speeds ranging anywhere from maximum 100 meg (if your beside the cabinet) and as low as 7 meg (1.5km+ from cabinet).

Agreed of course. The post was about FTTH & if I was being told a lie by eir Sales.

Thanks for help ppl

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ste wrote: »
    Agreed of course. The post was about FTTH & if I was being told a lie by eir Sales.

Thanks for help ppl

Erhh .. Virgin tends to be Urban. Eir have extremely little FTTH in the cities. Under 40k premises. And near to nothing in Dublin.

So you can be 99% sure it was VDSL (FTTC) and not FTTH they were on about.
    After the Fibre to the cabinet installation contact us after 48 hours to get FTTH connection

Alone that quote there is fishy. You don't need a copper line for FTTH. You don't need a phone line, phone number or anything.

If your premise is enabled for FTTH, then all you need is an eircode. And that's all you need to order FTTH.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Greywolverine

Try downgrading youre package 360 to the 240 BB only no phone for 54€ ... If it works why get rid :)

Advertisement