Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin 220 mbs v Vodaphone 100 mbs

Options
  • 22-11-2018 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Wonder if you can help me out here:

Currently we are with Virgin for our broadband for over 5 years and can't fault it. However each year the price goes up and the only way it will come down is if we switch supplier.

Done a speed test via wifi and when i'am beside the modem have a download speed of 99 mbs when i'am way form the modem 33mbs (modem is located in a poor location). Regardless find no fault with Virgin.

Vodaphone are offering 100mbs(v 220 mbs with Virgin). My question is would the lower mbs mean that where i'am getting 33mbs(currently with Virgin) it will go lower again because there is only 100 mbs coming into the house?

Summary: Would I lose anything by switching to Virgin?

Apologies very long winded and hope I'am explaining it ok!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

size5 wrote: »
    Wonder if you can help me out here:

Currently we are with Virgin for our broadband for over 5 years and can't fault it. However each year the price goes up and the only way it will come down is if we switch supplier.

Done a speed test via wifi and when i'am beside the modem have a download speed of 99 mbs when i'am way form the modem 33mbs (modem is located in a poor location). Regardless find no fault with Virgin.

Vodaphone are offering 100mbs(v 220 mbs with Virgin). My question is would the lower mbs mean that where i'am getting 33mbs(currently with Virgin) it will go lower again because there is only 100 mbs coming into the house?

Summary: Would I lose anything by switching to Virgin?

Apologies very long winded and hope I'am explaining it ok!!

When you do the Speedtest what devices are you using VM hub broadcasts two WiFi signals 2.4GHz for 5Ghz 2.4 will get you slower speeds but better distance 5Ghz will do the opposite.

I would check that out first, you will be always get better speeds when your device is wired. I rang VM yesterday and got a discount for 6months worth giving them a call.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

220mb vs 100mb - those are the max speeds to the router, you'll usually only get them on a speedtest if you are plugged into the router with an ethernet cable.

Wifi speeds are dependent on a lot of different factors but all things being equal, if you're getting 33mb/s at the worst place in the house now, it'll be the same with Vodafone. It might even be faster if VF's router is a better model than VM's.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Marty Bird wrote: »
    When you do the Speedtest what devices are you using VM hub broadcasts two WiFi signals 2.4GHz for 5Ghz 2.4 will get you slower speeds but better distance 5Ghz will do the opposite.

I would check that out first, you will be always get better speeds when your device is wired. I rang VM yesterday and got a discount for 6months worth giving them a call.

Have rang about discount VM for the year €540 compared to VF €420, hence the intention to change. How do I find out what signal the router is using i.e. 2.4 or 5GHz?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

loyatemu wrote: »
    220mb vs 100mb - those are the max speeds to the router, you'll usually only get them on a speedtest if you are plugged into the router with an ethernet cable.

Wifi speeds are dependent on a lot of different factors but all things being equal, if you're getting 33mb/s at the worst place in the house now, it'll be the same with Vodafone. It might even be faster if VF's router is a better model than VM's.

Cheers for that our modern must be at least 3 years old so hoping VF might be better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The Vodafone product is up to 100 Mbit over phone line the Virgin one is a set speed over more reliable coaxial cable.
    With the Vodafone service the distance you are from the cabinet is very important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

size5 wrote: »
    Have rang about discount VM for the year €540 compared to VF €420, hence the intention to change. How do I find out what signal the router is using i.e. 2.4 or 5GHz?

If your device is compatible with the 5Ghz signal you should see 2 VM WiFi channels try the other one and then do a sped test.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Vodaphone are offering 100mbs(v 220 mbs with Virgin).

Vodafone are actually offering Up To 100Mb/s which is distance dependent. It depends on the length of the copper cable from the cabinet to your house, which could take a very indirect route and so be much longer than you think.

Virgin are offering an actual speed, as does FTTH ....... the speed at your modem.

So if you only get 25Mb/s on your FTTC connection that is the max you will have anywhere in your home .... and probably much less if using wireless.

You are responsible for the strength of the wireless and coverage in your home.
    The suppliers do not get involved in that.
    It is under your own control.

Advertisement