Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Present Help Needed - Best Android Smartphone Under €250

Options
  • 22-11-2018 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I asked on here a couple of years ago and was given some great advice so I'm back. The present at the time (Samsung Galaxy J3) went down a treat and has had some fantastic use, but the time has come to upgrade again.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a smartphone under €250, preferably one that I can pick up in a bricks and mortar store (don't ask :pac:)?

As we've had such a good experience with the J3, I'm drawn to the J5 (2017) at €150 and the J6 at €160, both well under budget. Would either of those be a nice, noticeable upgrade for her? Or would there be a better option than those Samsung's?

The main things for her would be something that is speedy enough (for a teenager) that won't get sluggish too soon into its lifespan, and has a good battery life. She would mainly use it for watching YouTube, video calling, Snapchat etc.

Thanks all. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

Great suggesttions here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057929616

I ordered one of the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite for my teen.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

I've just ordered a Mi A2 Lite as well.

That, the main Mi A2.

The Pocofone F1 if it comes down from around €300.

Others will weigh in...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Redmi Note 5
    4GB/64GB version

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Honor 8x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Honor Play
    Moto G6 / G6 Plus
    Nokia 6.1

The Xiaomi phones are great value (have one myself).
    However if Leapcard is used then stay clear as they don't have NFC (only high end models).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The MiA2, not Lite.

Patww79 wrote: »
    The MiA2, not Lite.

I'd go contrary and say Mi a2 lite- fair bit longer battery life which OP mentions than A2 (probably 30% longer in practice) and will do all your uses fine. also stock android and even tho the snapragon 625 is getting on as a cpu it flies on stock android and use is rapid and smooth day-to-day.

has a headphone jack if that is important also.

the A2 has a better camera but the a2 lite is fine except in bad light (altho that can be improved with installing a night sight google camera app which requires following a tutorial on it with a pc)

Advertisement