Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flickr query

Options
  • 22-11-2018 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Now sure if this is correct forum so please feel free to move if necessary but in any case I was wondering if anyone might be able to advise me regarding re the following. Flickr have given notice that from a certain date in new year they will be limiting accounts to 1000 items unless you convert to their paid version ie Flickr pro for something like €50 per year. I have about 13,000 different photos and pictures on Flickr currently as I use it as cloud storage for everything I take on iPhone which amounts to about 13% of the 1terra byte that they give you for free. Can anyone advise me Re the following

1. What is the best alternative to Flickr
    2. how difficult or time consuming it would be to down load all my pictures from Flickr and to upload them to a new cloud based storage site

From a quick bit of research it would appear that google photo might be the best...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 eoin317

Google photos is what I use and find it very good. Flashback memories that pop up of "this day 5 years ago" is a good feature as is syncing with a partners phone. Facial rec on it is also very good.

They give you unlimited storage if you convert your images to their format but it is limited if you want to keep it in your format.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

eoin317 wrote: »
    Google photos is what I use and find it very good. Flashback memories that pop up of "this day 5 years ago" is a good feature as is syncing with a partners phone. Facial rec on it is also very good.

They give you unlimited storage if you convert your images to their format but it is limited if you want to keep it in your format.

What is their ‘format ‘?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Road-Hog wrote: »
    What is their ‘format ‘?

I'm not sure of the specifics but they just compress your images down. The images will still be JPG format. If you're not bothered by having your images compressed then Google Photo then it's a pretty good option.

The only other consideration, that may not bother you at all, is that you're handing over your images to Google and they will crawl your images to learn more about you and use that information however they wish (most likely to market things at you or enable 3rd parties market things at you).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Delete 12,000 of those photographs? How many of them are actually worth keeping? I probably overshare on Flickr a bit and I've managed to amass about 3000 uploads in a little over 10 years. What time period does that 13000 encompass ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Delete 12,000 of those photographs? How many of them are actually worth keeping? I probably overshare on Flickr a bit and I've managed to amass about 3000 uploads in a little over 10 years. What time period does that 13000 encompass ?

The OP isnt using flickr to share, they're using it like Dropbox/Drive.

GPhoto is the way to go here.
    Google Drive account as long as you are willing to accept slightly shrunken images in resolution. Basically, Google reduces your images to a maximum size of 16 megapixels and video resolution to 1080p. For most of us, 16MP sounds not so bad and is in fact in line with what most of the smartphone camera are capable of shooting.

They do apply a lower JPEG level so if you're familiar with photoshop its like JPEG9 not JPEG12. Can matter on dark gradients etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

ED E wrote: »
    The OP isnt using flickr to share, they're using it like Dropbox/Drive.

Yeah I figured. Unfortunately it's precisely the usage that Flickr is now trying to cut out. Maybe one of the amazon archive solutions ? I was contemplating Glacier for a while for long term archival backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Yeah I figured. Unfortunately it's precisely the usage that Flickr is now trying to cut out. Maybe one of the amazon archive solutions ? I was contemplating Glacier for a while for long term archival backup.

Thanks for all the advice. I’ve been using Flickr as a ‘photo dump’ / cloud type backup. I’m not a serious photographer or anything so google photo is probably what I’ll end up going for. The 13,000 pics would be approx 15 years of pics from scanned pictures to early Nokia phone pics to iPhone pics. Probably a lazy way of doing things but in any case I guess I’ll have to take the risk of being bombarded and info mined by google just as they are probably doing at the minute with my internet searching history.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

also considering my options here, did you go with Google Photos OP?
    I'm using about the same as you were on Flickr so does GPhoto charge you…i saw something about €20pa on 10GB? Seems expensive….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

guideanna wrote: »
    also considering my options here, did you go with Google Photos OP?
    I'm using about the same as you were on Flickr so does GPhoto charge you…i saw something about €20pa on 10GB? Seems expensive….

Google are moving their storage plans under the brand Google One (https://one.google.com/) As you can see, it's €20 per year for 100Gb and €25 for 200Gb which I think is about par for the course in comparison with Amazon, Dropbox, and others.

Advertisement