Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patch panel issue

Options
  • 21-11-2018 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I just got Aptus broadband installed to the house, the guy installing the dish/modem placed the modem in a different room to where I wanted it and suggested that I use the LAN socket on the wall to bring the signal to the patch panel in the attic and then back down from the patch panel to the sitting room, I did this and got the signal to the sitting room for a while but the signal has just disappeared and it doesn’t seem to be a cabling issue, someone mentioned to me that I’d need a device at the patch panel in order to send the signal to the other room, I’m not sure what this device might be but the strange thing is the fact that I was receiving a signal for a while without this device, any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If this worked without a switch I'd say the original electrician may have botched the setup.

You need a switch, but also need somebody competent to inspect how your cabling was installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Maoconne wrote: »
    Hi, I just got Aptus broadband installed to the house, the guy installing the dish/modem placed the modem in a different room to where I wanted it and suggested that I use the LAN socket on the wall to bring the signal to the patch panel in the attic and then back down from the patch panel to the sitting room, I did this and got the signal to the sitting room for a while but the signal has just disappeared and it doesn’t seem to be a cabling issue, someone mentioned to me that I’d need a device at the patch panel in order to send the signal to the other room, I’m not sure what this device might be but the strange thing is the fact that I was receiving a signal for a while without this device, any advice would be greatly appreciated

It would depend on what you are trying to achieve.

I'm making some assumptions here so correct me if I'm wrong.

Aptus are a WISP so I assume you have a cable from an antenna on your roof that enters your home and plugs into the WAN port of a router. Have you plugged the cable from the antenna directly into the LAN socket on the wall in order to use the router in another room?

ED E wrote: »
    If this worked without a switch I'd say the original electrician may have botched the setup.

You need a switch, but also need somebody competent to inspect how your cabling was installed.

I've assumed he's plugged the WAN into the LAN and it's all gone a bit wrong after a while.

Its hard to tell remotely.

Its hard to tell remotely.

Very. You're left guessing at what the issue may be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

someone mentioned to me that I’d need a device at the patch panel in order to send the signal to the other room, I’m not sure what this device might be but the strange thing is the fact that I was receiving a signal for a while without this device, any advice would be greatly appreciated
    If you're not using wired connections elsewhere in the house, you don't need a network switch in your patch panel to make this work -- just a patch lead between the two sockets on the panel that correspond to the room where the equipment is located and the room where you want the modem.

As previously mentioned, check nobody has moved the cable from the modem's WAN socket to one of the LAN ports by accident.

Also check that any patch lead installed in the network rack previously is still in place.

Has the wi-fi signal disappeared, or is it present but you just can't get Internet access when you connect to it?

Are you sure Aptus arent injecting PoE? If so it may not function on a longer run, at least not reliably.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Are you sure Aptus arent injecting PoE? If so it may not function on a longer run, at least not reliably.

You can leave the PoE in the room where the cable enters from the outside. Then run the cable via patch-panel to the room, where you want the router

- router in living-room
    - cable plugged into wan port on router and wall-socket
    - patch-lead in patch-panel to connect the two rooms (living room and room where panel is wired)
    - PoE in the room, where the cable was brought in, with patch lead from PoE to wall-socket.

But as pointed out previously, it would be good to have somebody competent look at this.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Maoconne

It would depend on what you are trying to achieve.

I'm making some assumptions here so correct me if I'm wrong.

Aptus are a WISP so I assume you have a cable from an antenna on your roof that enters your home and plugs into the WAN port of a router. Have you plugged the cable from the antenna directly into the LAN socket on the wall in order to use the router in another room?

Hi, no i haven't tried that but I'll give it a go in the morning, thanks

Tenshot wrote: »
    If you're not using wired connections elsewhere in the house, you don't need a network switch in your patch panel to make this work -- just a patch lead between the two sockets on the panel that correspond to the room where the equipment is located and the room where you want the modem.

As previously mentioned, check nobody has moved the cable from the modem's WAN socket to one of the LAN ports by accident.

Also check that any patch lead installed in the network rack previously is still in place.

Has the wi-fi signal disappeared, or is it present but you just can't get Internet access when you connect to it?

Hi, the WiFi is working fine and when I move the box in the sitting room to the room with the modem it works fine so that makes me think the issue is somewhere from the point at which the LAN cable plugs into the back of the modem--into the wall socket-- up to the patch panel in the attic and then back down to the wall socket in the sitting room, where would be a good place to buy a network switch? Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi, no i haven't tried that but I'll give it a go in the morning, thanks

No. Don't do that. I thought that is what you had done and it is likely not to work.

You're going to have to be more specific about what you're trying to achieve and what equipment is involved.

Do you have a switch in the LAN? Is it connected to the patch panel?

What are you plugging into the wall point, the cable from the antenna or a LAN output from the router?

A diagram or some pictures might help.

No. Don't do that. I thought that is what you had done and it is likely not to work.

You're going to have to be more specific about what you're trying to achieve and what equipment is involved.

Do you have a switch in the LAN? Is it connected to the patch panel?

What are you plugging into the wall point, the cable from the antenna or a LAN output from the router?

A diagram or some pictures might help.

I’m trying to connect a box in my sitting room directly to to the modem (which is in a different room) using the existing wiring in my house which has LAN sockets in each room that wire up to a patch panel in the attic, as I mentioned it worked fine for about a week and stopped working for some reason, if I move the box in the sitting room to where the modem is and plug it directly into the modem it works fine so the box and the modem must be fine, the issue must be with either the sockets, cabling or the patch panel, I don’t have a switch in the LAN but as I mentioned it did work for a while and then just stopped, I was just thinking maybe my 3 year old toddler may have been messing with the modem, there’s a WPS and a WLAN button in the Aptus modem, would pressing either of these upset anything?

I’m trying to connect a box in my sitting room directly to to the modem (which is in a different room) using the existing wiring in my house which has LAN sockets in each room that wire up to a patch panel in the attic, as I mentioned it worked fine for about a week and stopped working for some reason, if I move the box in the sitting room to where the modem is and plug it directly into the modem it works fine so the box and the modem must be fine, the issue must be with either the sockets, cabling or the patch panel, I don’t have a switch in the LAN but as I mentioned it did work for a while and then just stopped, I was just thinking maybe my 3 year old toddler may have been messing with the modem, there’s a WPS and a WLAN button in the Aptus modem, would pressing either of these upset anything?

I’m plugging in the LAN output from the modem into the wall socket BTW

I’m plugging in the LAN output from the modem into the wall socket BTW

I get what you're trying to do now.

You most likely do have a switch in the attic or somewhere otherwise the various LAN sockets would not be connected together (there is a small chance that the whole installation was wired incorrectly in a daisy chain where the sockets would be connected in the wrong fashion).

Cabling and sockets are quite unlikely to fail having been working but a switch failing would give the symptoms you describe. Check the attic for a switch, unplug and replug the power and see if it rectifies the issue. Post a picture if you are unsure what the switch is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

He seems to be explaining it as no switch but WISP cable to WAN on the modem, LAN on modem to point in room A which is wired to patch panel, there should be a loop from that port in the patch panel to the port on the patch panel corresponding to room b and then room b wall point to the "box". Obviously if you need access in any other room you'll need a switch but for a single connection this should work, no?

To rule out room A wiring from the modem/wall point to the attic, bring a device to the attic and connect to the port for room A while room A wall point is connected to the LAN port on the modem obviously. Have you a connection?

There's also the chance that you don't have a switch, your LAN sockets are not working and the box connected to the Aptus device over WiFi which may be unreliable as it's in another room.

In this case if you want to use the LAN sockets you'd need to add a switch with the appropriate number of ports at or near the patch panel. You will require power and enough cabling to connect the panel to the switch.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    He seems to be explaining it as no switch but WISP cable to WAN on the modem, LAN on modem to point in room A which is wired to patch panel, there should be a loop from that port in the patch panel to the port on the patch panel corresponding to room b and then room b wall point to the "box". Obviously if you need access in any other room you'll need a switch but for a single connection this should work, no?

Yes that would work also. Although why go to the trouble of installing Ethernet cabling and a patch panel then not use them.

If this is what you want OP then simply go into the attic and connect room A with room B on the patch panel with a short Ethernet cable. The two points will be directly connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Yes that would work also. Although why go to the trouble of installing Ethernet cabling and a patch panel then not use them.

If this is what you want OP then simply go into the attic and connect room A with room B on the patch panel with a short Ethernet cable. The two points will be directly connected.

Absolutely, it'd make no sense but a good way to test

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

To rule out room A wiring from the modem/wall point to the attic, bring a device to the attic and connect to the port for room A while room A wall point is connected to the LAN port on the modem obviously. Have you a connection?

Good idea, if a device works in the attic that would rule out the wiring from the modem to that point, I already have a cable on the patch panel connecting both rooms, they were all numbered by the electrician during installation

Good idea, if a device works in the attic that would rule out the wiring from the modem to that point, I already have a cable on the patch panel connecting both rooms, they were all numbered by the electrician during installation

I’ll give that a go in the morning, thanks a lot lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Take some pics and post them so everyone has some idea what you are looking at.

Advertisement