Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lever action rifle ideas/recommendations

Options
  • 19-11-2018 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

As above, looking for a nice lever action something larger that 22

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Marlin, Winchester, Rossi, Pedersoli, Henry and Uberti all make very nice .38Spec/.357Mag underlever rifles and carbines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭brugmand

Yeah I have been drooling over the Henry and marlin 45-70 lever actions for a long time. Are the 45-70s or 30-30s restricted ?

It is my understanding of the firearms laws in the RoI that .30-30 is not restricted, but .45-70 is....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭brugmand

Okay thanks, that's made my choice a lot clearer, my go to would have been 45-70 with 30-30 right behind

A .30-30 is a great choice for deer and feral goats up to 150 yards, providing you can get near enought to them..............it's really a woodlands calibre, hence its popularity in the North East and North West forested areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

3030 is unrestricted and licensable for deer. i have one myself. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Do not forget the excellent Browning BLR, its available in a lot of really good deer calibres. Some versions are takedown, and they are very well made in Japan.

https://browning.eu/products/rifles/lever_action/A-BLRPGTRACK/

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

Take into consideration ammo availability. 30.30 and 45 70 both great but not available everywhere. Savage offer lever rifles in common hunting calibres like 308 and 270 and others too. Just 1 more option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

judestynes wrote: »
    Take into consideration ammo availability. 30.30 and 45 70 both great but not available everywhere. Savage offer lever rifles in common hunting calibres like 308 and 270 and others too. Just 1 more option.

Do you mean the savage 99 ? That has been out of production for a long while now, too expensive to make in this brave new world of ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hey OP, just in case I'm thick or missed it, do you want the lever action for hunting or target shooting?

• Advertisement
Advertisement