Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mule (2018) Director: Clint Eastwood

Options
  • 21-11-2018 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭

"A 90-year-old horticulturist and WWII veteran is caught transporting $3 million worth of cocaine through Michigan for a Mexican drug cartel."
    I am really looking forward to this, finally not a remake or a sequel or a reboot.
    Out on 25 January 2019 (UK)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

otnomart wrote: »
    "A 90-year-old horticulturist and WWII veteran is caught transporting $3 million worth of cocaine through Michigan for a Mexican drug cartel."
    I am really looking forward to this, finally not a remake or a sequel or a reboot.
    Out on 25 January 2019 (UK)

His last movie wasnt great but hoping he returns to form with this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Haven't been to the cinema in a while but I am looking forward to this one. Hopefully it'll be as good as Gran Torino and Million Dollar baby, they were exceptional movies

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭bnt

This looks like a very personal project from Clint - for example, the line about putting work over family, and casting his daughter Alison Eastwood in the film as his character's daughter.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This film has very quietly gone about it's business, no one's talking about it but it's a moderate sized film that's just going past the 100m mark having not opened outside the US/Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Really looking forward to seeing this one. The trailer looks good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,086 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Clint has been hit and miss in the last few years, especially with 'American Sniper' which was absolute dreck. But, this looks pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Shred

Yeah I really like the look of this based on the trailer, I'm a huge Clint fan since I was a kid thanks to my Dad but terms of his last couple of acting roles I didn't really get the hype for Gran Torino (I must watch it again in fairness) and didn't bother with 'Trouble with the Curve' tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Saw this tonight. Worth a watch. Slow burn. But I enjoyed it. Clint looks his age though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I notice it says "based loosely on a true story", so I guess more artistic licence than usual has been employed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I saw this lastnight too. It was just OK. I think if it wasn’t for the presence of Clint, it would almost certainly be daytime TV, straight to video fare. There’s nothing taxing here, a very straightforward story. Bradley Cooper phones his performance in, nothing too taxing for him playing the main DEA agent. I’m sure his scenes didn’t take more than a couple of days to do. His sidekick Michael Pena plays pretty much the same role he has in the latest series of Narcos on Netflix.

Saddened me a bit to see the iconic Clint Eastwood look so old... well he is 89 I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Seen it today,
    was disappointed,
    thought that none of the characters had any real depth,
    movie did not know what to be: comedy like Saving Grace, or drama about consequences of putting work over family.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm going to see it on Friday

I saw it this evening, and I thought it was very good. Clint Eastwood did a great job directing and starring in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭ronano

branie2 wrote: »
    I saw it this evening, and I thought it was very good. Clint Eastwood did a great job directing and starring in it.

Given the reviews I expected it to be eh, I enjoy Clint's director work and thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

otnomart wrote: »
    movie did not know what to be: comedy like Saving Grace, or drama about consequences of putting work over family.

Totally agree with this view. It was a decent movie and Clint is always great to watch but the tone of the movie kept shifting from light-comedy, introspective study, dark-comedy, family drama, and teasing at being a bit of a drug cartel thriller. I'd enjoyed it but I'd probably have preferred if it just figured out what it wanted to be and went with that. I mean, for instance the visit to the drug boss was just so random, felt forced and was out of place.

Very tense at times as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

branie2 wrote: »
    Very tense at times as well

Was it though? I kept expecting it to get tense but it never happened, it kept switching back to something light or family drama focused. I think it very briefly flirted with turning into a tense movie a couple of times but it never landed even remotely. Clint's character was too aloof for it to ever become tense.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Saw this last night. I agree with some comments here that the some characters lack depth, but I still enjoyed it. I hope this isn't the last we see of Clint Eastwood.

Advertisement