Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quilty

Options
  • 21-11-2018 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi,we are currently looking to buy in west Clare with a view to a permanent move and amongst the places we have looked at properties in is Quilty.Some years ago I remember someone offhandedly saying that Quiilty was grand apart from the smell at times.When asked about that they said it was seaweed.I don't have a problem whatsoever with seaweed or the smell of it so paid no attention.However a few weeks ago I was driving out from the Bellbridge to Quilty and I have to admit there was a sharp enough smell alright, sort of rotten eggs.It wasn't slurry.I mean no offence to residents of the area but I would be concerned about this smell.A member of the staff in the hotel told me later it was a regular enough occurrence but couldn't tell me exactly what it was, mentioning sewage as a possibility??Anyone know of this smells it a regular thing and/or the cause? Again, no offence intended.Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭finbarrk

That smell is regular enough. It just seems to be at the Eastern side of the village. It doesn't seem to be on the road west to Seafield.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Larsheen

finbarrk wrote: »
    That smell is regular enough. It just seems to be at the Eastern side of the village. It doesn't seem to be on the road west to Seafield.
    Thanks finbarrk.I am struggling to imagine which is the road west??Is that the road coming into the village from the far side... with the supermarket on your left as you arrive into the village? Interesting you mention the the east side... that is the postal address for most of the houses that are for sale!Out of ignorance and lack of local knowledge, for some reason I thought east and west was divided by a line running up to the village from the hotel with say Seafield being west and Annagh being east but is it more that the dividing line is across the village with Seafield being on the line ?Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Seafield is west of the village. The road by the sea that goes back to the pier. But that smell is only close to the beach. It wouldn't be close to a lot of those houses that are for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Larsheen wrote: »
    Hi,we are currently looking to buy in west Clare with a view to a permanent move and amongst the places we have looked at properties in is Quilty.Some years ago I remember someone offhandedly saying that Quiilty was grand apart from the smell at times.When asked about that they said it was seaweed.I don't have a problem whatsoever with seaweed or the smell of it so paid no attention.However a few weeks ago I was driving out from the Bellbridge to Quilty and I have to admit there was a sharp enough smell alright, sort of rotten eggs.It wasn't slurry.I mean no offence to residents of the area but I would be concerned about this smell.A member of the staff in the hotel told me later it was a regular enough occurrence but couldn't tell me exactly what it was, mentioning sewage as a possibility??Anyone know of this smells it a regular thing and/or the cause? Again, no offence intended.Thank you

Why oh why would you want to live in Quilty when there are umpteen better places in West Clare?

Palmach wrote: »
    Why oh why would you want to live in Quilty when there are umpteen better places in West Clare?
    Hi Palmach, provided you’re not trying to start a riot here😉I’d be very interested in some suggestions. There have been some quizzical looks alright at the suggestion of Quilty but then again I’ve had the same looks about Miltown and Ennistymon! And further south brings some out in a rash☹️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭maryb26

What was the building on the pier in Quilty? Has been abnadoned for years and just a shell now.

maryb26 wrote: »
    What was the building on the pier in Quilty? Has been abnadoned for years and just a shell now.
    I don’t know Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

the smell is pretty localized to the front of the Quilty tavern. 500 meters in any direction and its more or less gone

Not sure how they never sorted it out tbh, its there for 40 years at least which as long as I've been going there. We were always told it was sewage, not sure how true that is but when you look at it that area in front of the tavern is perfect for leisure activities and I have never seen a soul down there

Quilty is a beautiful spot but very quiet, even in the height of summer. Then again that maybe what you're looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

regarding the building at the Pier.

We were always told growing up it belonged to dutch smugglers who built it in the early 70's but never moved into it. Could have been the grown ups taking the mick mind you

There is an outdoor swimming pool in the back garden that is filled in now but we used to throw our dogs into it when we were kids to teach them how to swim.

.... getting nostalgic now

mitresize5 wrote: »
    the smell is pretty localized to the front of the Quilty tavern. 500 meters in any direction and its more or less gone

Not sure how they never sorted it out tbh, its there for 40 years at least which as long as I've been going there. We were always told it was sewage, not sure how true that is but when you look at it that area in front of the tavern is perfect for leisure activities and I have never seen a soul down there

Quilty is a beautiful spot but very quiet, even in the height of summer. Then again that maybe what you're looking for

Thanks mitresize5,I dunno about the smell and the distance.I was only about half way towards the village, probably just at the turn for Caherush when the smell hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Larsheen wrote: »
    Hi Palmach, provided you’re not trying to start a riot here��I’d be very interested in some suggestions. There have been some quizzical looks alright at the suggestion of Quilty but then again I’ve had the same looks about Miltown and Ennistymon! And further south brings some out in a rash☹️

Lahinch, Kilkee, Enistymon, Milltown, Spanish Point are all nicer places by far than Quilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gary Owen

Palmach wrote: »
    Lahinch, Kilkee, Enistymon, Milltown, Spanish Point are all nicer places by far than Quilty.

I’d actually prefer quilty to lahinch or Kilkee and maybe ennistymon .
    Grand and quiet , beautiful beaches , great fishing and lovely walks .
    Shop ,pub and post office what more do you want .

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Patrick 74

The smell comes from loads of seaweed getting washed up on the rocks and sometimes it dosen't get washed back out so therefore it rots.So if you are coming from Miltown into Quilty village you will get a smell as the main road gets really low and close to the strand.I live in Quilty and dont even notice the smell ..for sure sometimes I do but it mostly when driving by that part of the road.We dont really see the beach in front of the village as a beach,have always gone back to Seafield for swimming, walking dogs etc....The best thing about Quilty is that its full with locals and with people who have moved too here ...its not flooded with holiday houses.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Simms

maryb26 wrote: »

We spent a lot of time on holiday in Quilty as kids. The memory is a bit dim but I recall the house was owned by an English guy called Hector. Big, blustery guy. My father used stop a chat with him from time to time. Apparently he used to hold some wild parties there. Then one fine day the house burned down and Hector mysteriously disappeared. Rumour had it that the house was a drop off point for boats coming in with drugs. Never heard anything about it since.

Advertisement