Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The rise and fall of Irish drama

Options
  • 21-11-2018 5:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

Watching the episodes of the new Irish drama series Taken Down has brought home the new almost puritanical tameness in Irish drama and once again brings to the attention of the public of the various agendas that are being pushed all the time at us. It is a pity because Taken Down would be a good drama if this tame agenda was not being adopted by RTE.

This drama was what I called over the top PC. Now don't get me wrong, I respect PC. I utterly deplore racism, misogyny, sectarianism, and other hate fuelled agendas but a good drama has to show its world for real. Watching The Handmaid's Tale for example does not mean I support the Tea Party in America (indeed it was made by people as a warning to that movement gone too far and its original writer Margaret Atwood is as far removed from Ted Cruz in ideology as possible). Gilead shows the world of an America gone way too far down the road it has begun last April and is a warning to turn back. Likewise, watching Love/Hate and Breaking Bad does not mean I am a gangland member or that the writers of it are. Again, they were unafraid to show these worlds.

Taken Down is afraid to offend, afraid to show the world of racist misogynist people traffickers for what they are. Afraid to portray another Git or Luke pervert type. Afraid to be Love/Hate despite Stuart Carolan.

I don't like a lot of what I'm seeing in modern Ireland and that reflects into the drama. Look at all this anti-alcohol agenda. Then note what Dr Frank Murray is: a member of an anti-drink Catholic cult. To quote The Handmaid's Tale:

Now I'm awake to the world. I was asleep before. That's how we let it happen.

I don't like what is coming at us on the news from America every day and it is becoming more and more like Gilead. I don't like all this agenda we are seeing in Ireland where our rights are being eroded by fear mongers who are using so-called 'cancer causers' in the same way as the lads over in the Tea Party are spreading misinformation about Iran, a country they think is in Africa!

Irish drama is being made to fit into this new PC meets fearmongering world where religious extremists hide behind other causes to control the new largely atheist people. Next, watching violent drama and action films will be linked to cancer!

Comments

I wouldn't get too vexed about it dude..Maybe change over to BBC or something when it's on next week..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

How is America becoming like Gilead?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Watching the episodes of the new Irish drama series Taken Down has brought home the new almost puritanical tameness in Irish drama and once again brings to the attention of the public of the various agendas that are being pushed all the time at us. It is a pity because Taken Down would be a good drama if this tame agenda was not being adopted by RTE.

This drama was what I called over the top PC. Now don't get me wrong, I respect PC. I utterly deplore racism, misogyny, sectarianism, and other hate fuelled agendas but a good drama has to show its world for real. Watching The Handmaid's Tale for example does not mean I support the Tea Party in America (indeed it was made by people as a warning to that movement gone too far and its original writer Margaret Atwood is as far removed from Ted Cruz in ideology as possible). Gilead shows the world of an America gone way too far down the road it has begun last April and is a warning to turn back. Likewise, watching Love/Hate and Breaking Bad does not mean I am a gangland member or that the writers of it are. Again, they were unafraid to show these worlds.

Taken Down is afraid to offend, afraid to show the world of racist misogynist people traffickers for what they are. Afraid to portray another Git or Luke pervert type. Afraid to be Love/Hate despite Stuart Carolan.

I don't like a lot of what I'm seeing in modern Ireland and that reflects into the drama. Look at all this anti-alcohol agenda. Then note what Dr Frank Murray is: a member of an anti-drink Catholic cult. To quote The Handmaid's Tale:

Now I'm awake to the world. I was asleep before. That's how we let it happen.

I don't like what is coming at us on the news from America every day and it is becoming more and more like Gilead. I don't like all this agenda we are seeing in Ireland where our rights are being eroded by fear mongers who are using so-called 'cancer causers' in the same way as the lads over in the Tea Party are spreading misinformation about Iran, a country they think is in Africa!

Irish drama is being made to fit into this new PC meets fearmongering world where religious extremists hide behind other causes to control the new largely atheist people. Next, watching violent drama and action films will be linked to cancer!
    I’m sorry, how is this the rights fault ?
    This show is an ultra lefty pc propaganda piece. It’s a backhand attempt at condemning anyone who dares question multiculturalism and it pushes western guilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

vladmydad wrote: »
    I’m sorry, how is this the rights fault ?
    This show is an ultra lefty pc propaganda piece. It’s a backhand attempt at condemning anyone who dares question multiculturalism and it pushes western guilt.

Did not mention 'the right' or 'the left' whatever that means. The piece is about 'freedom from' rather than 'freedom to' with the former decided by others in a nanny state aka dictatorship lite form. RTE have decided that violent dramas like Love/Hate are no longer to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Did not mention 'the right' or 'the left' whatever that means. The piece about 'freedom from' rather than 'freedom to'. RTE have decided that violent dramas like Love/Hate are no longer to be made.
    Are you basing this claim purely on the fact that they have made one drama that isn't like that, or is there some further reason to think this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Are you basing this claim purely on the fact that they have made one drama that isn't like that, or is there some further reason to think this.

Each drama RTE has made in the last 4 years are tame restrained fare with Striking Out being another example. The reason for this is because of the minority who complain about violence. If someone is not interested in violence, why would they watch Love/Hate or The Handmaid's Tale or Breaking Bad or McMafia? Shouldn't they know what they are letting themselves in for? The American and British channels ignore those who complain so RTE should too. Why should drama be toned down because a few squeamish people object? This attitude has produced shows like The Big Bow Wow and the like before and this restrained attitude is back with a bang in the last few years. No wonder Irish drama is so poor. Love/Hate was one of the welcome exceptions and decided to be brave.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

If someone is not interested in violence, why would they watch Love/Hate or The Handmaid's Tale or Breaking Bad or McMafia? Shouldn't they know what they are letting themselves in for?

If someone is interested only in violence why would they watch Taken Down? Probably in the hope that they'll get their violence kicks and are now disappointed it didn't happen. Not yet anyway.

The worst PC aspect of Taken Down is the idea of the lead Gardai being female.

dubdaymo wrote: »
    The worst PC aspect of Taken Down is the idea of the lead Gardai being female.

Yeah..It's ridiculous..

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Whats your solution to the low birth rate crisis faced by Gilead caused by the old world order?

Advertisement