Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AR500 steel targets

Options
  • 20-11-2018 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, does anyone know any good websites or dealers who can supply AR500 steel targets in 3/8 inch prefereably.

Ive tried brownells Ireland but they all seem to be on back order..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

1/2 steel plate, a lot cheaper and a lot easier to get and replace. First port of call would be scrap yards or any engineering works for off cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

solarwinds wrote: »
    1/2 steel plate, a lot cheaper and a lot easier to get and replace. First port of call would be scrap yards or any engineering works for off cuts.

I was thinking regular steel plate, however im sure a .223 would have enough energy to penetrate 10–15mm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Nope using a 6.5x55 for a long time it will dent 4mm steel but not go through. Now repeated hits in the same spot will eventually hole it. But 1/2 plate more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

GolfVI wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, does anyone know any good websites or dealers who can supply AR500 steel targets in 3/8 inch prefereably.

Give these lads a call. https://ssstarget.com/
    They use Hardox 500, i orders some 2 years ago and its still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

+1 what Ziggi says

• Advertisement

Ziggieire wrote: »
    Give these lads a call. https://ssstarget.com/
    They use Hardox 500, i orders some 2 years ago and its still going.

Thanks a million seems exactly what im looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

solarwinds wrote: »
    Nope using a 6.5x55 for a long time it will dent 4mm steel but not go through. Now repeated hits in the same spot will eventually hole it. But 1/2 plate more than enough.

Your 6.5 wont go through 4mm steel?? are you shooting rubber bullets?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Hi everyone,

Do ranges allow people to shoot steel targets?

Do ranges allow people to shoot steel targets?

Yes, On the midlands range there is an area where you can hang your own steel

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Yes, On the midlands range there is an area where you can hang your own steel

That's cool I thought that was just an American thing. Is it as fun as it looks?

• Advertisement

That's cool I thought that was just an American thing. Is it as fun as it looks?

The ping is oddly satisfying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Where are you based GolfVI? I’m a welder and can get you a chunk of steel from 2 to 20mm easily enough. It won’t be hardened steel, just regular mild/carbon steel or stainless up to 10mm.
    I was under the impression that a 223 solid round could go through nearly an inch of steel? Can’t remember where I saw that or what range it was from but definitely came across it somewhere. I suppose I could just try it but I don’t fancy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭tikkamark

A .223 will make light work of regular 10/12mm ms it will take a bit of banging but it definitely will eventually bust through,tool steel is also no good it’s too brittle.Hardox is the only job+it gives a nicer high pitch ding compared to regular m/s too :)

Kran wrote: »
    Where are you based GolfVI? I’m a welder and can get you a chunk of steel from 2 to 20mm easily enough. It won’t be hardened steel, just regular mild/carbon steel or stainless up to 10mm.
    I was under the impression that a 223 solid round could go through nearly an inch of steel? Can’t remember where I saw that or what range it was from but definitely came across it somewhere. I suppose I could just try it but I don’t fancy it!

Hi kran, thank you very much for the offer. Ive just ordered a hardox steel fox head target from the website a few others have suggested so i guess i will see how that turns out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

any danger of riochets ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

badshot wrote: »
    any danger of riochets ?

If you use mild steel yes. Action targets angle their plats at 20` so everything is deflected directly into the ground in front of the target. With other targets there could be a chance depending on where you hit the plate or if you hit a mounting bolt bracket or whatever else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

badshot wrote: »
    any danger of riochets ?

With proper safety precautions and a little design thought ricochets can be controlled and or avoided.

Firstly I wouldn't use mild steel because its soft !
    I would assume that would effect how the round is going to deform as it hits it. Hardox (or any other commercial name it goes by) is used because of its abrasive resistance and is excellent for this purpose.

Secondly, the construction of the target it important. By that I mean if there are bolts holding the target to its stand, hitting a bolt will cause a sporadic ricochet. Unfortunately many targets are done this way as its cheaper/requires less skill level to make than welding hardox.

In the design also as Juice said "Action Targets" tilt their targets at a 20 degree angle so should a ricochet happen it will be directed toward the ground.

Lastly just from a safety aspect but steel shouldn't be shot at close range. Obviously the further way you are the safer you are. There is a video floating around there of a guy hitting a steel plate with a Barrett and the plate whizzing past his head to knock off this peltors....... apparently Barrett do not recommend shooting steel inside 600m so always check with a manufacturer :)

I imported a pallet of action targets several years ago that was a 3/8 thick welded plate of AR 550 ! This is their recommendations:

- 10+ yards for standard handgun rounds*
    - 10+ yards for lead bird and buck shot*
    - 50+ yards for rifle rounds with a muzzle velocity less than 3,000 fps*

Advertisement