Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I due a raise?

Options
  • 20-11-2018 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I've been working for a company for 2 years and feel like I might be getting underpaid for the work that I do. I started off the job with little experience and have been getting paid €10.50 an hour since I started.
    Since I've started working there my work load and responsibilities have doubled. I started off by doing light administrative work. I now do all the marketing, advertising, graphics and social media for the company. I run the company's back end system and I have been appointed to train new staff who i know are getting between €9 and €10. I know that there are other staff in the company getting paid a lot more than me and they do a lot less work. How do I go about asking for a raise? Should I have already been offered more money or is it really a case of 'if you don't ask you won't get.'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭dennyk

Don't bring up other employees' salaries when asking for a raise; they have no bearing on your own value to the company. Instead, focus on the value you bring to the company yourself and the additional responsibilities you've taken on (and presumably been succeeding at?) since you started. Know what you want to ask for, as well; look around the market for what other positions with similar responsibilities and your level of experience are paying and base your numbers on that. Keep in mind that a company is usually unlikely to give an employee a very large raise all at once, though; if you are significantly below market rate and they aren't willing to bump you up to a fair salary, then it's time to look elsewhere for someone who will value your contributions properly.

Advertisement