Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd Party Router - PPPoE / IPoE - eir VDSL

Options
  • 19-11-2018 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I need to start using a 3rd party router / firewall for a friend as the F2000 modem can't handle the no. of devices.

Traditionally I would have put in a Cisco RV320 / DrayTek Vigor 2860 (Small office, will require VPN).

The issue is that when configuring these, they are all PPPoE and i've been reading that for eir VDSL IPoE is required.

Does this mean these these routers won't work?

With the RV320 i'd be bridging the F2000, but the Vigor 2860 has a VDSL (RJ11) socket, so could by-pass the F2000 altogether?

Any advise much appreciated.

Edit, this is a business account, FTTC, VDSL (standard copper coming into the building). When I go to the WAN connection on the F2000, I notice 'Connection Type' is set to IP (There is a PPP option)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

IPoE is only required for TV services.

PPPoE is required for a static IP from Eir which they may have as a business.

he issue is that when configuring these, they are all PPPoE and i've been reading that for eir VDSL IPoE is required.

I would be very surprised if those units could not DHCP on WAN, which is essentially what IPoE is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Re. IPoE - Many thanks, thought it was required for VDSL.

So, PPPoE is OK on eir VDSL? The confusion is that when I go into the VDSL WAN config on the F2000, 'IP' is chosen rather than PPP in 'Connection Type'

See below screenshot of Cisco RV320 config:
    kfV8L8P.png

I'm also getting conflicting info re. PPPoE auth information. I can't ask in the eir forum because it's been suspended. Some are saying:
    eir@eir.ie
    broadband1

eircom@eircom.net
    broadband1

And others are saying you use some combination of the account number.... can't get through to eir to get a definite answer.... nightmare.

Configure VLAN 10 on WAN, then use the first option if you want IPoE. If you want PPPoE usually the details don't actually matter that much, they use your CSI to work out who you are (you don't need to worry about this).

The only case where you should need 01-000000 and UAN as credentials is when there's been a mess up by a field tech and you're not connected to the right hardware on the far end. Only do this if advised by tech support to do so.

For you:
    VLAN 10 on WAN
    eircom@eircom.net
    broadband1
    Give it 60 seconds for the RAS to sort itself out.

ED E wrote: »
    Configure VLAN 10 on WAN, then use the first option if you want IPoE. If you want PPPoE usually the details don't actually matter that much, they use your CSI to work out who you are (you don't need to worry about this).

The only case where you should need 01-000000 and UAN as credentials is when there's been a mess up by a field tech and you're not connected to the right hardware on the far end. Only do this if advised by tech support to do so.

For you:
    VLAN 10 on WAN
    eircom@eircom.net
    broadband1
    Give it 60 seconds for the RAS to sort itself out.

Many thanks.... I thought it was either IPoE *or* PPPoE ie. only one would work. Reason for this is because the F2000 is IPoE (no credentials)

So, given that I can use PPPoE, I will use the credentials you mentioned above.

Now, only issue with the Cisco RV320 is I don't see VLAN ID option for WAN port. Mind you, i'm considering going with the Draytek Vigor for this particular installation. -EDIT- No option to do this on the RV320, so that router is out. The RV315 has the WAN VLAN option, but it's end of life. I'll continue the search.

Ideally i'd like them to get a Meraki, but they won't go for the annual licencing. Another cloud based option is the OpenMesh G200, but the initial reviews aren't all that great.

At this stage, i'm thinking the DrayTek Vigor (VDSL) would be the way forward - what does the panel think? No bridging etc...

If Meraki is out due to pricing, Ubiquiti? Seems like a no brainer.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    If Meraki is out due to pricing, Ubiquiti? Seems like a no brainer.

Fair point, I just haven't had experience with Ubiquiti in the past.... no better time to get aquainted.

Any recommendations? ADSL would be ideal but happy to bridge the F2000.

There'll be about 30 devices / no WiFi / VPN (VPN to Client, so would be ideal if a client software package available... I like the Draytek one, very user friendly)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GALWAYINDOOR

Sorry for hijacking the post but I am looking for help I have a tp link td w9970 and I can't get on the Internet with eir iv tried quick install but no luck it has under dsl wan interface pppoe vci 10 dsl disabled. It says Bridge is connected. I'm clueless as to how to fix this any help greatly appreciated when I run diagnostic it says not find Internet joins in

After some research, I think it's best to go for the Draytek Vigor 2862. This way, I can by-pass the F2000 completely. It allows WAN VLAN tagging, which is the main hurdle with the VDSL.

I don't see how that wouldn't work?

Sorry for hijacking the post but I am looking for help I have a tp link td w9970 and I can't get on the Internet with eir iv tried quick install but no luck it has under dsl wan interface pppoe vci 10 dsl disabled. It says Bridge is connected. I'm clueless as to how to fix this any help greatly appreciated when I run diagnostic it says not find Internet joins in

Start your own thread. Detail what package you have too in that thread.
    JohnCleary wrote: »
    After some research, I think it's best to go for the Draytek Vigor 2862. This way, I can by-pass the F2000 completely. It allows WAN VLAN tagging, which is the main hurdle with the VDSL.

I don't see how that wouldn't work?

Assuming its one of the ones Marlows gone through, it'll be great. Dray are solid units.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Can't go much wrong with the Draytek. That's for sure.

As long as it supports the Vlan tagging on the WAN interface. That's the culprit for most.

/M

• Advertisement

^^ Thanks guys. I've never provided a Draytek for someone before but have used them a bit and always found them easy to use.

Should be sorted for VDSL WAN VLAN, according to the manual:
    3Ng3R7n.png

I'll finish it off with an OpenMesh Dual-Band WiFi AP (We'll prob need 2 (mesh))

Advertisement