Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance & diabetes

Options
  • 19-11-2018 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi All -

Just had a query regarding Car Insurance, Driving license and Diabetes. I am a type 2 diabetic and have recently been informed by my GP that i need to inform NDLS and my insurance that i am a diabetic. I will be going ahead and informing them but wanted to know if this impacts how much car insurance i pay to the insurance company? Secondly, do i need to disclose that i have diabetes specifically or is a general disclosure sufficient in light of the new GDPR?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,481 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Regarding the NDLS, everything you need to know is here

As far as insurance is concerned, it is a material fact and should be disclosed but I'm sure others can give more detail as to that.
    I am driving with Diabetes and have no loading on my policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ManUnited123

banie01 wrote: »
    Regarding the NDLS, everything you need to know is here

As far as insurance is concerned, it is a material fact and should be disclosed but I'm sure others can give more detail as to that.
    I am driving with Diabetes and have no loading on my policy.

Sorry, by no loading you mean there's no extra charge on your policy?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yep. Once under control diabetics don't have loaded motor insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Nothing to do with insurance, but this might be of interest :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRrE3FW7wZk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Hi All -

Just had a query regarding Car Insurance, Driving license and Diabetes. I am a type 2 diabetic and have recently been informed by my GP that i need to inform NDLS and my insurance that i am a diabetic. I will be going ahead and informing them but wanted to know if this impacts how much car insurance i pay to the insurance company? Secondly, do i need to disclose that i have diabetes specifically or is a general disclosure sufficient in light of the new GDPR?

Insurers cannot load you for medical conditions. They could apply restrictions such as if you had a physical disability and had an adapted car they would remove the driving of other cars extension but for medical conditions or physical conditions they cannot charge you a higher rate. If they attempted it then Id be going straight to the financial ombudsman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

I’m diabetic and there’s been no loading on the insurance. Pending who you are with they may try other ways to load. They do this by you getting checked over by one of their doctors (which you get to pay for). Other insurers are grand with a note/form from your doctor. Others are happy as long as NDLS has been informed and it’s on your license. I’ve been very lucky in that the cheapest insurer has always been happy that I told NDLS. Check their website and it should tell you more.

You will need your doctor to fill out an NDLS medical form so should be worthwhile to see if your insurance requires extra forms as well.

Do disclose it though as you would invalidate the insurance by not letting them know, if you start a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ManUnited123

ddarcy wrote: »
    I’m diabetic and there’s been no loading on the insurance. Pending who you are with they may try other ways to load. They do this by you getting checked over by one of their doctors (which you get to pay for). Other insurers are grand with a note/form from your doctor. Others are happy as long as NDLS has been informed and it’s on your license. I’ve been very lucky in that the cheapest insurer has always been happy that I told NDLS. Check their website and it should tell you more.

You will need your doctor to fill out an NDLS medical form so should be worthwhile to see if your insurance requires extra forms as well.

Do disclose it though as you would invalidate the insurance by not letting them know, if you start a claim.

Thanks -

Which insurance company are you with?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

T2 here controlled by metformin no loading on car or motorbike insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Thanks -

Which insurance company are you with?

Currently Allianz, but previously Zurich. Both are grand if you have an approval with NDLS. I think Axa require forms to be filled out. Chill.ie wanted a note from my doctor. I’ve been lucky that typically Allianz has been cheapest for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 orla.mccormack

I haven't experienced any loading on my insurance either but it might depend on the insurer

• Advertisement
Advertisement