Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEC 2018

Options
  • 19-11-2018 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭

Anyone going? Any deals you'd like to share? Any new bikes standing out? I'm going later in the week but for the lads that are going early, give us a heads up if you spot any value. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Dont forget yer passport....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

Dont forget yer passport....;)

Yeah, it's great being an "international" visitor from overseas!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Im going on Wednesday

Hopefully I can get a good deal on a Bell qualifier dlx

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Heading over in the morning...hopefully its a good show. 5th year in a row now.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Gang of us heading over Friday morning....black Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Cute hoors :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

If you plan to take a test ride check with them beforehand about presenting an Irish licence. Shame to queue-up in vain.

nintchdbpict000001263075.jpg

Which one are you.....:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭listermint

emo72 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's great being an "international" visitor from overseas!

Will be more international come March 2019..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Funny fookers....lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Lads anyone going to the show have a look out for the ARC electric m/cycle, Impressive figures . Wt. 220kg, Top speed 200km/h Range 435 km. Charge time 30 mins and all for only £90,000 :eek:

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Lads anyone going to the show have a look out for the ARC electric m/cycle, Impressive figures . Wt. 220kg, Top speed 200km/h Range 435 km. Charge time 30 mins and all for only £90,000 :eek:

I saw that its absolutely mental

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    I saw that its absolutely mental
    Did you pre order :D

Did you pre order :D

I was very tempted by the Zero bikes, they would be a perfect commuter

Pity the range is not great. Can't see it worthwhile for a Sunday ride out less than a couple of hundred kms.

Yeh your right definitely wouldn't be great for weekend spins.

Even the guy on stand was saying that they're perfect if you keep your petrol bike for the weekend and use the Zero for work during the week

I think it would be a more dangerous form of transport especially where pedestrians are crossing through slow moving traffic in towns and cities. Probably cut the range in half using the horn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,280 ✭✭✭✭blade1

If you ever find yourself in Austin Texas AF1 will give you a test ride on an Energica :D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

I liked the Zero alright, still a bit pricey, but it’s the future and can’t understand why others aren’t doing electric bikes yet either.

Some good deals there, happy with the few bits I got.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Had to watch that video a second time, waaaay too distracted by the brake lever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I think it would be a more dangerous form of transport especially where pedestrians are crossing through slow moving traffic in towns and cities. Probably cut the range in half using the horn.

When they first started racing the 0 bikes at the IOMTT they had issues with bird strikes because of the lack of noise from the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

Went yesterday. Bought nothing. The days of loads of dealers selling stuff seems to be over. I'm looking for a jacket gore tex but the lads seen to find better deals online these days. If I had to pay in I probably wouldn't go! But the cheap flight and the day out with some lads is the bonus part.

The next commuter ?
    PB210134.jpg

Does it come with a Bat cave....:)

emo72 wrote: »
    Went yesterday. Bought nothing. The days of loads of dealers selling stuff seems to be over. I'm looking for a jacket gore tex but the lads seen to find better deals online these days. If I had to pay in I probably wouldn't go! But the cheap flight and the day out with some lads is the bonus part.

They were able to undercut online prices when i was last there.

If you're still looking I found this to be one of the cheapest known brand goretex jackets. Bought it a few months ago but sizes are more limited now though.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/302449

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Bought helmet, intercom, heated jacket and heated gloves. Saved over €300 from best online prices I could find.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Having gone the last 5 yrs I found the show this year to be very underwhelming tbh, very few at it the day I was there compared to years ago. And as was said by other posters very few bargains to be had with the "thats the show price" been the mantra of the day by most stalls.

Where as before you were guaranteed 3 outside test rides and the adventure ride on top of that, free in and cheap flights it was a great day out. Now, unless you have a full UK licence only 1 test ride is available and the adventure ride is so strict and boring its not worth the hassle of getting changed.

Next year with brexit and that I cant see myself going as I doubt it be free in and there will prolly be tax on all purchases as not part of EU.......pricesw of flights will suffer too Id wager.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Having gone the last 5 yrs I found the show this year to be very underwhelming tbh, very few at it the day I was there compared to years ago. And as was said by other posters very few bargains to be had with the "thats the show price" been the mantra of the day by most stalls.

Where as before you were guaranteed 3 outside test rides and the adventure ride on top of that, free in and cheap flights it was a great day out. Now, unless you have a full UK licence only 1 test ride is available and the adventure ride is so strict and boring its not worth the hassle of getting changed.

Next year with brexit and that I cant see myself going as I doubt it be free in and there will prolly be tax on all purchases as not part of EU.......pricesw of flights will suffer too Id wager.

The test rides were the biggest selling point for me, we always had great craic buzzing around Birmingham.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

I went as a day out only, with my 15yr old, to try bikes for him. He even got to test ride the Duke 125 (and a Honda), albeit in a very simple way, but it was something to do.

I was warned by the SO to NOT buy anything. :P Last year I went and ended up buying a new Africa Twin, based on the (admittedly) brief test ride. :eek: Expensive day out !!
    And, you have to look at it from the other side (and I've worked/exbihited at NEC several times myself: you're there to sell. Offering half of Ireland test rides isn't usually worth anything as you won't get those sales (generally), but John England who can't get on the list may very well buy.......better to accomodate him.

I did however, buy a new 113dB Denali horn :):D

Flights were cheap, hotel on the Thursday fair (£86), and crowds on a weekday modest enough (which is a ++ in my book), and yes, I got the free entrance tickets too.

There are worse ways to spend a day off.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement