Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Period House BER G to ...

Options
  • 18-11-2018 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Currently interested in an old 1800’s period property. 3200 sq ft with G BER rating. Fireplaces in most rooms to be blocked off. Oil central heating and half the house has double glazing sash type window, the rest single glazed.

I know it’s impossible to say but looking at a ballpark region for the cost of a full insulation of the house. Would need to be dry lined internally.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Have you checked if it’s listed/protected?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,238 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

BryanF wrote: »
    Have you checked if it’s listed/protected?

a listed building would be BER exempt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

sydthebeat wrote: »
    a listed building would be BER exempt ;)

It would be, but that doesn't mean you can't get it assessed and rated.

I've seen a protected structure on Myhome flying a BER G flag. There was no mention of the protected status in the blurb either - so I suppose someone trying to hide this potentially offputting fact from prospective purchasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

sailing wrote: »
    Currently interested in an old 1800’s period property. 3200 sq ft with G BER rating. Fireplaces in most rooms to be blocked off. Oil central heating and half the house has double glazing sash type window, the rest single glazed.

I know it’s impossible to say but looking at a ballpark region for the cost of a full insulation of the house. Would need to be dry lined internally.

You might want to read around here on the wisdom of nailing up internal wall insulation (potential for unhealthy mould growth) before proceeding down that path. There is breathable internal wall insulation (in limited thicknesses) but it's quite pricey iirc.

Advertisement