Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour using traffic cones on public street

Options
  • 17-11-2018 5:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

I'm sure this can't be the first time this topic has surfaced on boards, but I'm just looking to see how others have dealt with this issue and if it was worth their while reporting it. One of my neighbours is using traffic cones to 'reserve' two parking spots outside of his house (for him and his wife). As it's a public street, I know he can't do this. He is quite an unpleasant person by all accounts and I have had a confrontation with him in the past when I attempted to park in one of 'his' spots (which obviously wasn't in use at the time) because my other half's father was visiting and her father was parked where I would normally park. I'm strongly considering making a report to the council, not only because I feel it's unacceptable to claim a sizable portion of a public street as your own, but also because of his bad attitude when it was put to him that the spaces don't belong to him. What I'd like to know is:

What can I realistically expect from the council if I report him?

How exactly would one classify illegal use of traffic cones on a report form to the council? Does it count as an obstruction?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Huntline

Kyle More wrote: »
    I'm sure this can't be the first time this topic has surfaced on boards, but I'm just looking to see how others have dealt with this issue and if it was worth their while reporting it. One of my neighbours is using traffic cones to 'reserve' two parking spots outside of his house (for him and his wife). As it's a public street, I know he can't do this. He is quite an unpleasant person by all accounts and I have had a confrontation with him in the past when I attempted to park in one of 'his' spots (which obviously wasn't in use at the time) because my other half's father was visiting and her father was parked where I would normally park. I'm strongly considering making a report to the council, not only because I feel it's unacceptable to claim a sizable portion of a public street as your own, but also because of his bad attitude when it was put to him that the spaces don't belong to him. What I'd like to know is:

What can I realistically expect from the council if I report him?

How exactly would one classify illegal use of traffic cones on a report form to the council? Does it count as an obstruction?

Thanks for reading

Just steal his cones, he can't have that many of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Kyle More

Huntline wrote: »
    Just steal his cones, he can't have that many of them.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Report the cones to the local litter warden every time you see them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Any labels on them?

If they have a Garda sticker drop them back to the station. If the local authority owns them you can do the same

He probably robbed them somewhere. Send them back to where they belong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

He is quite an unpleasant person by all accounts

Anyone that uses cones like this is an arsehole. I lived beside one for years. I would just move the cones and don't engage with him at all. He will get sick of shouting at a closed door.

• Advertisement

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Any labels on them?

If they have a Garda sticker drop them back to the station. If the local authority owns them you can do the same

He probably robbed them somewhere. Send them back to where they belong :)

Good question. They're not Garda cones anyway, I must have a look and see. I would take a pretty confident guess that they were swiped from the local authority.

VeryTerry wrote: »
    Anyone that uses cones like this is an arsehole. I lived beside one for years. I would just move the cones and don't engage with him at all. He will get sick of shouting at a closed door.

True enough. As Mikemac pointed out, any private resident who uses them has most likely stolen them from the guards or the local authority. So he can't even make the argument that I'm moving property belonging to him. I'd still like to give him a fright of sorts, as he thinks he can bully everyone who attempts to park in 'his' spots. Just an official notification from someone in authority to let him know that he has been reported and that someone is watching what he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

True enough. As Mikemac pointed out, any private resident who uses them has most likely stolen them from the guards or the local authority. So he can't even make the argument that I'm moving property belonging to him. I'd still like to give him a fright of sorts, as he thinks he can bully everyone who attempts to park in 'his' spots. Just an official notification from someone in authority to let him know that he has been reported and that someone is watching what he's doing.

Reporting it to your local authority is the way to go...a nice visit from a uniformed Community Warden service should help!

Advertisement