Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

saving json data to a database in django

Options
  • 16-11-2018 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

my heads wrecked with this. Im finishing a part-time hdip and Im trying to pull my final project together. Ive pulled latitude and longitude data from an API. I can extract the data I need and I can disply it on a page, using django. No issues with that.

What I want to do is save the info to a data base. I've simplified it down to just saving the latitude info. As I say, I can print the info no problem. i have it stored in a variable called 'lat'.
    I set up a model with this info:
    from django.db import models

class latlon(models.Model):
        lat = models.IntegerField()

in my views I have:
    from django.http import HttpResponse
    import requests
    from requests import get
    from .models import latlon
    def home(request):
        ip = get('https://api.ipify.org').text
        url2 = format(ip)
        url ='http://api.ipstack.com/' +url2 +'?access_key=(my key is here)'
        data = requests.get(url)
        parsed_data = data.json()

lat = parsed_data['latitude']
        long = parsed_data['longitude']
        region = parsed_data['region_name']

html = "<html><body>It is now %s.<br />Your IP is: %s.<br />Your Latitude is %s.<br />Your Longitude is %s.<br />Your Region is %s.<br /></body></html>" % (now, url2, lat, long, region)

return HttpResponse(html)

when I run that, it prints out the lat, long and region.

If though I try to save the latitude by using
    lat.save()

(if thats the correct way to do it that is) I get an error saying " 'float' object has no attribute save'

How to do I save the lat to the database? I've been googling and getting lots of info, but nothing I can use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I'm not a python expert, but you've declared lat as an entity in your model, but you're re-assigning it as a different type in your view it looks like to me.

When you call save, it's trying to save on a float type and not an entity - hence the error

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

maccored wrote: »
    Hi folks

my heads wrecked with this. Im finishing a part-time hdip and Im trying to pull my final project together. Ive pulled latitude and longitude data from an API. I can extract the data I need and I can disply it on a page, using django. No issues with that.

What I want to do is save the info to a data base. I've simplified it down to just saving the latitude info. As I say, I can print the info no problem. i have it stored in a variable called 'lat'.
    I set up a model with this info:
    from django.db import models

in my views I have:
    from django.http import HttpResponse
    import requests
    from requests import get
    from .models import latlon
    def home(request):
        ip = get('https://api.ipify.org').text
        url2 = format(ip)
        url ='http://api.ipstack.com/' +url2 +'?access_key=(my key is here)'
        data = requests.get(url)
        parsed_data = data.json()

lat = parsed_data['latitude']
        long = parsed_data['longitude']
        region = parsed_data['region_name']

html = "<html><body>It is now %s.<br />Your IP is: %s.<br />Your Latitude is %s.<br />Your Longitude is %s.<br />Your Region is %s.<br /></body></html>" % (now, url2, lat, long, region)

return HttpResponse(html)

when I run that, it prints out the lat, long and region.

If though I try to save the latitude by using
    lat.save()

(if thats the correct way to do it that is) I get an error saying " 'float' object has no attribute save'

How to do I save the lat to the database? I've been googling and getting lots of info, but nothing I can use.

You need to initiate an instance of a 'latlon' object, and save that. The following should do the trick:
        myLatlon = latlon(lat=parsed_data['latitude'])
        myLatlon.save()

Assuming from the name that you want the longitude as well, you could continue with:
        lon = models.IntegerField()

myLatlon = latlon(lat=parsed_data['latitude'], lon=parsed_data['longitude'])
        myLatlon.save()

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

thanks for that - got it working.

final issue, I swear:

I have this as a view:
    from django.shortcuts import render
    from get_co.models import latlon_getco
    from chargeInfo.models import destination
    def home(request):

dest = destination.objects.get(id=1)
        destin = {'latitudeDest': dest.latitudeD,'longitudeDest': dest.longitudeD }

orig= latlon_getco.objects.get(id=1)
        origin = {'latitudeOrigin': orig.lat,'longitudeOrigin': orig.lon}

return render(request, 'display/home.html', destin,origin)

Its basically two sets of co-ordinates. Thing is, only the first one listed appears on the page - not both. If I have it as 'return render(request, 'display/home.html', destin,origin)' then the destination info prints to the page, but the next one (origin) doesnt.

If i use 'return render(request, 'display/home.html',origin, destin)' then the origin info prints to the page,but the next one (destin) doesnt

How come both wont appear? Thank you for the help so far

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

aha - the old 'post it on boards and then 5 mins later you'll figure it out' monster appears again :D:
    dest = destination.objects.get(id=1)
        orig= latlon_getco.objects.get(id=1)
        args = {'latitudeOrigin': orig.lat,'longitudeOrigin': orig.lon, 'latitudeDest': dest.latitudeD,'longitudeDest': dest.longitudeD}

return render(request, 'display/home.html', args)

Advertisement