Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetic Cat

Options
  • 15-11-2018 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just found out one of the cats is diabetic, I'm wondering has any one had any dealings in this? I've no problem looking after her re injections etc what ever it takes, my question is the price of the insulin is a bit high as I'm on a tight budget, is there anywhere I can purchase insulin instead of the high price the vet is given me, any help would be greatfull.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Hi all, just found out one of the cats is diabetic, I'm wondering has any one had any dealings in this? I've no problem looking after her re injections etc what ever it takes, my question is the price of the insulin is a bit high as I'm on a tight budget, is there anywhere I can purchase insulin instead of the high price the vet is given me, any help would be greatfull.

Has your vet told you which type as in T1 or T2?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I’ve had a diabetic cat, it takes a fair bit of time to manage it. I had to be there at 8am and 8pm religiously to give him his injections. I got the insulin from the vets, I don’t know if you can buy it elsewhere as it has to be kept in a fridge and can’t inagine those little glass vials would travel well. You can get the syringes online though. They cost a fortune when you are injecting with a clean needle twice a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Thank you for replies, I'll be bringing her in awhile to the vet to start injections and will find out all I need to know, I'll let ya know what type she has em_cat later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

So an update on our little missus, been a few weeks now her gloucose level was in the high 20's when this all started and today just did a blood test down to 7.3, so we're going the right way, she's after coming around so much to the cat of old, we stopped all dry food and only given her Felix brand( no gravey, we bought the needles and gloucose strips online at half the price vet was charging,so the insulin will cost around €50 every three months or so, happy so far how things are going

Advertisement