Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I claim back on med 1 while claiming job seekers allowance

Options
  • 15-11-2018 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi I was out of work in 2014 and 2015. I think I was on job seekers by 2015 not sure about 2014.

Can I claim back the health expenses when I was claiming job seekers and when I wasn't? or could I have my mother do it as she was effectively 'keeping' me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

Did you pay tax at all in those years? If you didn't then you'll get nothing back...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 khlo12313

hjr wrote: »
    Did you pay tax at all in those years? If you didn't then you'll get nothing back...

No I wasn't contributing through work but I thought they take some out of your job seekers allowance. Could my mother claim this tax so if I wasn't paying tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

If your only income was Jobseekers, then you wouldn't have reached the threshold for paying tax, so you'd be due no refund for medical fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 khlo12313

If your only income was Jobseekers, then you wouldn't have reached the threshold for paying tax, so you'd be due no refund for medical fees.

would you happen to know if my mom could claim back my expenses in her med 1 then or would tax people look at my expenses as my own while getting job seekers and say i owe nothing even though she was helping me with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

khlo12313 wrote: »
    would you happen to know if my mom could claim back my expenses in her med 1 then or would tax people look at my expenses as my own while getting job seekers and say i owe nothing even though she was helping me with them?

If your mum paid the expenses, then she can claim them. She will get credit for them if she paid some tax.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And should also have qualified for a medical card under the sole income from DSP clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Your mother can claim a tax refund for medical expenses she incurred on your behalf.
    But she will only get a tax refund if she actually paid some tax in the year/s for which she’s claiming.
    If she didn’t pay any tax then don’t waste any more time at this.
    She can go back 4 years so if she claims now she can claim for 2014, 2015,2016, 2017. Then she can claim for 2018 in January.
    You need to get all your doctors bills etc totted up for each year and your pharmacy can tot up your bill for each year very easily.
    She needs to create an account with MyAccount online on the Revenue website and proceed from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Themother can only clAim if she actually paid, AND you're a dependent on accordance with tax rules. (Age etc comes into it)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Themother can only clAim if she actually paid, AND you're a dependent on accordance with tax rules. (Age etc comes into it)

No this is not true.
    Look at page 3 of the application form.
    https://www.nkc.ie/MED1_Euro.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

splinter65 wrote: »
    No this is not true.
    Look at page 3 of the application form.
    https://www.nkc.ie/MED1_Euro.pdf

My bad. Didn't know that changed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement