Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little 'D' signs on telephone poles

Options
  • 15-11-2018 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

I have seen these little white signs with a red 'D' on them nailed to the telephone poles on my road in the last week or so. Does anyone know what they mean? I keep hoping it means something good but I doubt it. 😹

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

ED E wrote: »

Aha, thanks! Here I was thinking we might be getting better internet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Toxica wrote: »

It's usually a first step before they run fibre, replace defective poles and clear overgrowth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

As THHB says it is highly likely that it is the first step in getting FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Have you checked the map on http://www.fibrerollout.ie if your area is planned ?

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I have seen these little white signs with a red 'D' on them nailed to the telephone poles on my road in the last week or so. Does anyone know what they mean? I keep hoping it means something good but I doubt it. ��
    ED E wrote: »
    Marlow wrote: »
    Have you checked the map on http://www.fibrerollout.ie if your area is planned ?

/M

Per the linked post, they are defective - Eir are auditing their poles/plant and indicating the poles which cannot be climbed via normal means by technicians maintaining cable, termination units etc.
    They still can install fibre on these poles if its planned, but they will need to use lifting platforms like those you see hanging off the rear of the OpenEir vans.

In my area they audited the poles outside of the fibre roll-out and nail the defective signs as needed, so check the fibre rollout plans

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We're just about to hit the busy season for the field service techs, December/January is when the bad weather takes out bad poles and pulls trees onto lines. 2 day avgs become 12. They may be just getting ahead of that if its not FTTH prep.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Per the linked post, they are defective - Eir are auditing their poles/plant and indicating the poles which cannot be climbed via normal means by technicians maintaining cable, termination units etc.
    They still can install fibre on these poles if its planned, but they will need to use lifting platforms like those you see hanging off the rear of the OpenEir vans.

In my area they audited the poles outside of the fibre roll-out and nail the defective signs as needed, so check the fibre rollout plans

If they were marked defective they should have been replaced before fibre cable was deployed. Although I have seen defective poles with fibre on them they would be very much in the minority.

All the cable is installed using lifting platforms, it would only be distribution point mounting that would require pole climbing.

All the cable is installed using lifting platforms, it would only be distribution point mounting that would require pole climbing.

I'm afraid, that's not the case. They've gotten very sloppy (some call is cost sensistive) in the last year. The amount of hoist call-outs because they didn't fix busted/ivy covered poles have increased because of it. And this is not DP mounting. This is spanning between poles.

So them marking defective poles at least indicates an area, they've not yet gone crazy on yet.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    I'm afraid, that's not the case. They've gotten very sloppy (some call is cost sensistive) in the last year. The amount of hoist call-outs because they didn't fix busted/ivy covered poles have increased because of it. And this is not DP mounting. This is spanning between poles.

So them marking defective poles at least indicates an area, they've not yet gone crazy on yet.

/M

Were these poles that subsequently required call-outs originally marked with a "D" plate? I have come across poles that appeared defective to me visually but apparently passed their inspection.

I wasn't suggesting that the network was in a pristine condition after their preparatory work, just that any pole that had been marked should be replaced before cabling. However as time is running out on their agreement with the Government they may have become lax on this requirement.

Perhaps the inspections have become more lax also.

• Advertisement

Were these poles that subsequently required call-outs originally marked with a "D" plate? I have come across poles that appeared defective to me visually but apparently passed their inspection.

I wasn't suggesting that the network was in a pristine condition after their preparatory work, just that any pole that had been marked should be replaced before cabling. However as time is running out on their agreement with the Government they may have become lax on this requirement.

Perhaps the inspections have become more lax also.

The government has very little to do with it. they don't own the network. It's more a bean counter exercise.

The government is just interested in passed figures. Not the state of poles.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Nothing to do with internet.
    Our area was surveyed last summer, and I was chatting to the man.
    He just inspects every pole and accesses it.

He did tell me that the oldest pole he has came across in the Navan area was erected in 1912 and is still sound!
    It was a telegraph pole at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

The D can also mean eircom technicians can’t climb these poles with a ladder due to safety, height, traffic, pedestrians etc. Cherry picker only. Example Brand new pole affixed in Thurles town and it was D plated.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Nothing to do with internet.
    Our area was surveyed last summer, and I was chatting to the man.
    He just inspects every pole and accesses it.

He did tell me that the oldest pole he has came across in the Navan area was erected in 1912 and is still sound!
    It was a telegraph pole at that time.

And yet the hinterlands around Navan were enabled for FTTH in the past few months. The process is certainly more likely to be part of the fibre rollout than not.

Advertisement