Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit and VRT/VAT/Customs

Options
  • 15-11-2018 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone read the document on Brexit?

What are the implications for importing cars from the UK, assuming the current text is adopted by the EU and the UK (not certain by any means)?

Is it business as usual until a new trade agreement is agreed at some point in the future?

So, assuming the current text is adopted, after Mar 2019 nothing will change. You just bring the car in and take it to the NCT centre for VRT inspection and thats it?

Anyone clarify without me having to read 500 pages of text! :pac:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Half listening over the last day or two, but isn't NI staying in the customs union or something?
    So buy cars though the North?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Way too soon to speculate, text of agreement is not agreement, anything could still happen so still a complete unknown.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

slave1 wrote: »
    Way too soon to speculate, text of agreement is not agreement, anything could still happen so still a complete unknown.

I know its not agreed yet but surely all the detail is in there? Thats the whole point of the document is it not?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

KCross wrote: »
    I know its not agreed yet but surely all the detail is in there? Thats the whole point of the document is it not?

Years in business and the words "draft" and "transition" period in relation to NI means (to me anyhow) anything can happen. I know we on this forum are looking at car imports from UK/NI but there are greater EU concerns and 27 countries have to agree to the agreement, I think the whole Spain/Gibraltar/Cyprus has the possibility to stuff this draft up.
    Only time will tell, personally I was hoping to bring in a second EV like a Niro with the long wished for range but I think only the L40 and perhaps the L60 have the supply end sorted so I'm hoping to bring in via NI in maybe 2020/2021, I'm not worried on FX and I've bought my sterling when it hit 91.2 way back

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

So, let me state again.... based on the current document assuming its adopted (big assumption), what is the status with importing a car from the UK? Thats all I'm asking.

Of course this document could fall at many hurdles ahead (UK vote etc) but the reason I ask now is that this is the first document that all parties seem willing to put to the vote and I just wanted to know what it means for UK car imports. I'm not trying to second guess the votes that are ahead.

Do you know or anyone on here know what the docs says in relation to UK car imports?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I can tell you one thing....it ain't going to make them cheaper....

That's all I need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Funny you say that, a car I have my eye on is around €300 less today than it was a few days ago..

In the short term, there could be bargains to be had.

Shefwedfan wrote: »

It could though. If its business as usual and no tariffs but sterling tanks because of Brexit, then it becomes cheaper to import.

If there are tariffs then the movement of sterling might not matter as you get hit with a tariff on the way in.

Answering my own question....

During the transition – which will run initially until the end of 2020 – EU law will continue to apply in the UK and the UK will continue to participate in the customs union and the single market.

That says to me that nothing changes until at least the end of 2020 at which point they can request an extension or agree a new deal.

So any imports for the next 2 years are business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Soarer wrote: »
    Half listening over the last day or two, but isn't NI staying in the customs union or something?
    So buy cars though the North?

NI and the rest of the UK are staying in the customs union

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

There will be no changes in the short term.
    The proposed deal is to keep things as is for a 21 month transition period during which a trade deal will be agreed.
    Potentially there could be import duties applied to cars at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

dubrov wrote: »
    There will be no changes in the short term.
    The proposed deal is to keep things as is for a 21 month transition period during which a trade deal will be agreed.
    Potentially there could be import duties applied to cars at that point.

If ,,, if we have a deal, in a no deal, it's an easy tariff for the government,,,, to force us all onto buy new.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

gally74 wrote: »
    If ,,, if we have a deal, in a no deal, it's an easy tariff for the government,,,, to force us all onto buy new.
    If the UK drops out of the customs union at the end of the transition period the tariffs on imported cars will be set by the EU, not by the Irish government. And there won't be a special tariff for vehicles imported from the UK.

Currently the EU tariff on imported cars is, I think, 10%. That's the tariff that will, by default, apply to cars imported from the UK to Ireland after the transition period, unless a trade deal is agreed that provides for a lower or no tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

The withdrawal agreement confirms two things ( if accepted ) until dec2020

(A) the UK will abide by the VAT directive

(B) goods placed in free circulation in the UK will be regarded as in free circulation in the EU and vice versa

(c) free movement of eu nationals will be allowed in the uk with the right to work and settle

This is essentially the main tenants of the single market and the UK is proposing to sign up to this

Hence car imports will continue as is , until a trade deal will be signed ( which will take years , so expect the transistion period to go on and on and on )

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

NIMAN wrote: »
    NI and the rest of the UK are staying in the customs union
    Only in the event the deal is agreed.
    Which is a non-starter.

IMO it's 3/10 probability of this deal getting agreed, 3/10 for no deal brexit and 4/10 2nd referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Assuming nothing changes right away if UK crashes out.
    When would any potential nonsense of vat come in?

What I mean is.
    I plan to buy a UK car on Oct 6th, I've paid deposit but am currently away but plan to pay in full an collect the car in 3 weeks.
    So on Oct 6th I will import the car. Would there be any difference in booking the VRT date on Oct 30th before exit vrs 1st Nov post exist if imported on the 6th of Oct?

Perhaps it does not matter as long as import is before?
    Perhaps it does not matter either way?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Assuming nothing changes right away if UK crashes out.
    When would any potential nonsense of vat come in?

What I mean is.
    I plan to buy a UK car on Oct 6th, I've paid deposit but am currently away but plan to pay in full an collect the car in 3 weeks.
    So on Oct 6th I will import the car. Would there be any difference in booking the VRT date on Oct 30th before exit vrs 1st Nov post exist if imported on the 6th of Oct?

Perhaps it does not matter as long as import is before?
    Perhaps it does not matter either way?

No one can tell you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

I’d imagine because you’d the car purchased and in the State before the 31st, you’d be grand.

listermint wrote: »
    No one can tell you that.

So the import date does not matter what matters is the day the car is presented.

Someone should be able to answer that.

Soarer wrote: »
    I’d imagine because you’d the car purchased and in the State before the 31st, you’d be grand.

That is my assumption also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭adunis

Based on my experiences of the process I be getting everything done before the 31st
    BTW you don't have to be there in person,just write a note to the effect that whoever presents the car Is there on your behalf.

Advertisement