Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircoms Gigabit to 66 communities rollout

Options
  • 15-11-2018 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭

30951744337_d4f878c1f5_c.jpg

As we all know, this project was silently abandoned in favour of the 300k, yet some premises were rolled under this project.

Does anyone know, which ones the pilot towns were ?

The list, I can come up with from current roll out figures is:
    - Carrigaline
    - Cavan
    - Drogheda
    - Ennis
    - Kilkenny
    - Letterkenny
    - Naas
    - Sligo
    - Tralee
    - Wexford

Any place, I'm missing ?

/M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

was it abandoned? They certainly did a few estates in Greystones - I don't thing they ever said they would do the whole of each town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

loyatemu wrote: »
    was it abandoned? They certainly did a few estates in Greystones - I don't thing they ever said they would do the whole of each town.

It was to be finalized end of December 2017 as you can see from the ad. And this was FTTH. Not VDSL/FTTC.

What would you call 10-12 out of 66 ? A complete rollout ? Also .. they only ever did about 30-50k premises tops under that roll out, nationwide.

/M

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

loyatemu wrote: »

Virgin Media are catching up in Greystones, Wicklow & Arklow

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There's a chunk of urban FTTH done in Castlebar. Nothing in Westport or Ballina.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    There's a chunk of urban FTTH done in Castlebar. Nothing in Westport or Ballina.

They did about 550 in Castlebar, but it's 2k+ in all the ones above.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Marlow wrote: »
    It was to be finalized end of December 2017 as you can see from the ad. And this was FTTH. Not VDSL/FTTC.

OK, well AFAIK FTTH is available in Greystones and Bray, but mainly in newer estates.

EDIT: checked the rollout map - seems I'm wrong about Bray, but Greystones and Arklow are live and Wicklow Town is due to go live "in 2018"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Navan urban didn't happen either. The rural homes outside of the town got hooked up. Siro and Virgin also working on FTTH in Navan.

Dunshaughlin urban area also currently lots of KN activity developing for both Siro and Virgin. Services from both Siro and Virgin are supposed to begin here early next year.

Eir are supposed to begin their urban FTTH rollouts again next year, but if the towns of County Meath are anything to go by, Eir are about a year too late starting this project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The earliest data I have is from the 12th of September 2016. The first rural 300K premises did not launch until the 28th of September 2016 so it can be assumed that all these are urban. I think technically the pilot areas were Sandyford and Wexford.

Cavan Cavan 2200
    Clare Ennis 1300
    Cork Ballincollig 130
    Cork Carrigaline 1300
    Cork Douglas 800
    Donegal Letterkenny 5200
    Dublin Balbriggan 1070
    Dublin Sandyford 2900
    Kerry Tralee 400
    Kildare Naas 3800
    Kilkenny Kilkenny 3500
    Louth Drogheda 1800
    Louth Dundalk 100
    Mayo Castlebar 1300
    Monaghan Monaghan 400
    Sligo Rathedmond 2500
    Wexford Wexford 3900
    Wicklow Greystones 1800

Total 34400

After the 300k build start you'd have to assume that most, if not all the urban project was put on hold although I assume they may have done pieces here and there.

Thanks Navi.

I've been looking at duplication of OpenEIR Urban/SIRO.

Those figures came from fibrerollout.ie ? I'm just asking because OpenEIR has no eircodes for a lot of the early trial roll out, like Wexford.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Marlow wrote: »
    Thanks Navi.

I've been looking at duplication of OpenEIR Urban/SIRO.

Those figures came from fibrerollout.ie ? I'm just asking because OpenEIR has no eircodes for a lot of the early trial roll out, like Wexford.

/M

It was from the map on openeir.ie before fibrerollout even launched.

• Advertisement

It was from the map on openeir.ie before fibrerollout even launched.

Right .. we're prior to blue lines there :) The 1300 figure for Castlebar is bogus though, unless half of them have no eircodes in the database.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

Only parts of Letterkenny were ever done, only FTTC from them out my direction, im a pole drop, thank god for siro, they actually delivered to the town as a whole as far as I know.

jimmad wrote: »
    Only parts of Letterkenny were ever done, only FTTC from them out my direction, im a pole drop, thank god for siro, they actually delivered to the town as a whole as far as I know.

Correct. OE left over 4000 premises in Letterkenny out. But there are over 5000 that can get both.

/M

Advertisement