Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Acoustic Guitar

Options
  • 14-11-2018 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I want to get my hubby one of the Martin Acoustic Guitars for his birthday next month. He has a very nice electric I got him for his birthday a few years back but the acoustic he plays is the same beginners one he’s had for years.

He loves John Frusciante and I looked up and saw he plays a Martin 0-15 (although of course a rare and old one) so I wanted to get my hubby the same modern version. Looking online there seems to be a couple that have that name but seem ever so slightly different and I have no idea which is best.

Also, do any guitar shops do Black Fridays deals or will a guitar like that hold its price regardless of sales? It’s a big purchase so just want to make sure it’s the right one! Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

You seem very thoughtful, he's lucky to have you.

Anyroads, I'd play it safe on this and let him pick something out himself. I've played lots of Martin's, some I liked and some I hated.

Your hubby needs to pick a guitar that he likes the feel for. Music Maker have a nice acoustic section. Perhaps bring him in there and see what he gravitates to and take note. Then go back another day and buy it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

The 0 refers to the body size. An 0 is a small body let's say parlor guitar size. A 00 is a little bigger, 000 is a slightly larger concert size like the Clapton models.

The 15 refers to the quality level. A 15 is a basic quality, not bad, just as you go up to 0-18, 0-28, 0-42, etc they have up-graded tone woods and fancier inlays.

The Martin 0-15 is a very sweet small body guitar. I've had two of them over the years and love them. For under $1000 they're a lifetime keeper guitar, not too tricked out fancy but great tone, sustain and project well. These smaller 0 size guitars are easier to carry to gigs, especially when he gets older. If you can find one in mahogany I'd get that but the other tone woods they use for this model, I can't remember if it's bubinga, are great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

The 0 refers to the body size. An 0 is a small body let's say parlor guitar size. A 00 is a little bigger, 000 is a slightly larger concert size like the Clapton models.

The 15 refers to the quality level. A 15 is a basic quality, not bad, just as you go up to 0-18, 0-28, 0-42, etc they have up-graded tone woods and fancier inlays.

The Martin 0-15 is a very sweet small body guitar. I've had two of them over the years and love them. For under $1000 they're a lifetime keeper guitar, not too tricked out fancy but great tone, sustain and project well. These smaller 0 size guitars are easier to carry to gigs, especially when he gets older. If you can find one in mahogany I'd get that but the other tone woods they use for this model, I can't remember if it's bubinga, are great too.

Thanks so much to you both for all your help!

Advertisement