Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking In for 2 flights on same booking, with different airlines

Options
  • 14-11-2018 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi,

Over the coming days, I am travelling from an Irish airport to Abu Dhabi, via Heatrow with British Airways. The flight from Ireland to Heathrow is with Aer Lingus (booked through British Airways) and obviously British Airways from Heathrow to Abu Dhabi.

I want to check in online, but I cant check in for both flights on the same site it seems, even though both were booked with British Airways.

I can check in the Aer Lingus flight on their site and British Airways on theirs.

I want to check in online if possible and have my bag go from Ireland to Abu Dhabi direct. Both Aer Lingus and British Airways have a different reference number for the booking.

Question is - do I check in separately on each site and when I drop my bag at the airport, it will get sent directly to Abu Dhabi? OR do I need to check in at the airport for both flights together to facilitate this? I also want to select my seat before hand on both flights but that seems to be only possible on check in.

Comments

It's one ticket? Booked through one airline?
    Just check in at the airport & ask for a specific seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Amateur

Yes one booking reference, booked with British Airways but for the first leg Aer Lingus are the carrier and can't book in for both legs with British Airways.

So the advice is to wait and check in the airport?

I would personally, seems the easiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Amateur wrote: »
    Hi,

Over the coming days, I am travelling from an Irish airport to Abu Dhabi, via Heatrow with British Airways. The flight from Ireland to Heathrow is with Aer Lingus (booked through British Airways) and obviously British Airways from Heathrow to Abu Dhabi.

I want to check in online, but I cant check in for both flights on the same site it seems, even though both were booked with British Airways.

I can check in the Aer Lingus flight on their site and British Airways on theirs.

I want to check in online if possible and have my bag go from Ireland to Abu Dhabi direct. Both Aer Lingus and British Airways have a different reference number for the booking.

Question is - do I check in separately on each site and when I drop my bag at the airport, it will get sent directly to Abu Dhabi? OR do I need to check in at the airport for both flights together to facilitate this? I also want to select my seat before hand on both flights but that seems to be only possible on check in.

Check-in on two sites...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

That sounds very strange. If all booked via ba then you should be able to check in all segments with a BA reference. I would call their helpline and ensure that there isn't a mistake and that it is all based on one booking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

Just check in at the airport. They will transfer your bags. You can also ask them for a seat you like.

Done that before. No problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I would agree that if all was booked through the BA website, you should be able to check in online with them. I've done that for a 2 leg trip to the US with BA where the first flight to London was with Aer Lingus. They code share so that people can do that. When you go into your booking on BA does it show the whole trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Amateur

I would agree that if all was booked through the BA website, you should be able to check in online with them. I've done that for a 2 leg trip to the US with BA where the first flight to London was with Aer Lingus. They code share so that people can do that. When you go into your booking on BA does it show the whole trip?

When I go in to the booking on BA, all flights are listed. When I attempt to check in to the first leg, I get the following message.

"This flight is operated by Aer Lingus. To check in and receive your boarding pass, please visit their website using pnr ref XXXXX"

And the ref XXXXX is the reference available on Aer Lingus site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Amateur wrote: »
    When I go in to the booking on BA, all flights are listed. When I attempt to check in to the first leg, I get the following message.

"This flight is operated by Aer Lingus. To check in and receive your boarding pass, please visit their website using pnr ref XXXXX"

And the ref XXXXX is the reference available on Aer Lingus site.

Haven't come across that myself. I'd say your best bet is to check in for the flights on the separate websites and ask when dropping in the bag about it being checked through.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

With 2 different airlines it's rare to be able to check in for both flights on one website. The systems usually aren't set up for it.

It's a good idea to check in on the long haul flight online, simply to make sure you get a seat that you like. Then check in at the airport with Aer Lingus. They'll tag the bag through to Abu Dhabi and give you printed boarding passes for both flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭lc180

I had the same experience flying with BA - Dublin to SFO via London. I needed to check in on two separate websites, a pain but worth doing. Your bag will go through the whole way to your final destination. The check in desk will confirm this in Dublin.
    If you wait until you get to the airport you may get stuck with a crappy seat! Best to reserve online in advance.

Advertisement