Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Netflix on a TV....how?

Options
  • 13-11-2018 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I'll be getting high speed broadband soon. I'd like to watch Netflix on my TV instead of the laptop. Can anyone tell me how I connect it all up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

If you also have Amazon Prime you could buy something like the Fire TV which can show Amazon Prime video and Netflix and other things, if you have a subscription to them of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Kindle Fire stick to parcel motel, install Netflix (if it isn't on there already) and done.

I have both a chromecast and firestick and would recommend the fire stick over the chromecast.

Or just get a smart telly but that's a big investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

I'll be getting high speed broadband soon. I'd like to watch Netflix on my TV instead of the laptop. Can anyone tell me how I connect it all up?

buy a 4K TV

HDMI from lapptop to TV

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

PlayStation or Xbox if you have one, the Xbox is a great multimedia machine very easy going from your phone to telly, very handy for sky, YouTube, Netflix, amazon prime, a lot.more user friendly than playstation etc.
    Cheapest option is probably a chrome cast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

Thanks for all the advice. Think I'll probably go for a chromecast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

4K is overrated and adds little to the viewing experience unless you're really close to the screen. HDR is where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Firestick is the best of them. Chomecast doesn't work right sometimes with the likes of Plex etc.

Firestick will do native Netflix, Plex, Youtube without you having to have a phone nearby. You can cast to it, too.

And 4k is not needed. Very little content for that anyhow.

/M

Firestick is ****e because you're just giving more money to that greedy bald f~cker Jeff Bezos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Frunchy wrote: »
    Firestick is ****e because you're just giving more money to that greedy bald f~cker Jeff Bezos.

Which billionaire CEO should I give my money to?

The firestick is currently 38% off on Amazon.co.uk

tuxy wrote: »
    Which billionaire CEO should I give my money to?

The firestick is currently 38% off on Amazon.co.uk

Chromecast is €29 and delivery is free. Has complete support in Ireland compared to the Fire Stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Buy a 4K smart tv. Be cheap as chips this week. Lg have a dedicated Netflix button. Not sure about the rest.

Marlow wrote: »
    Firestick is the best of them. Chomecast doesn't work right sometimes with the likes of Plex etc.

Firestick will do native Netflix, Plex, Youtube without you having to have a phone nearby. You can cast to it, too.

And 4k is not needed. Very little content for that anyhow.

/M

Thanks for the advice, but I am too untechy to understand what the heck you are talking about. Never heard of Plex , and casting is something you do when knitting or fishing. As for 4k, is it something you eat with?

Plex is another app, that can be used to access video content. Usually something you've stored on a PC in your own home.

Casting is, where you start the video on your mobile and then cast it to the TV using chromecast or the likes. Chromecast only does casting. Firestick can be used without your mobile being around, but can also be used for casting.

4K is the quality of the videos, tv shows, etc. you watch. It's the next step up for HD 1080p.

So .. old school TV: SD = standard definition.
    Modern TV: HD = High definition.
    4K: twice the resolution and quality of HD.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Plex is another app, that can be used to access video content. Usually something you've stored on a PC in your own home.

Casting is, where you start the video on your mobile and then cast it to the TV using chromecast or the likes. Chromecast only does casting. Firestick can be used without your mobile being around, but can also be used for casting.

4K is the quality of the videos, tv shows, etc. you watch. It's the next step up for HD 1080p.

So .. old school TV: SD = standard definition.
    Modern TV: HD = High definition.
    4K: twice the resolution and quality of HD.

/M

Thanks for that Marlow. I googled firestick, it sounds like I can just plug it in and avoid having to learn too much gadgetology

Thanks for that Marlow. I googled firestick, it sounds like I can just plug it in and avoid having to learn too much gadgetology

Correct. Plug it in, comes with a remote, works.

/M

4K is overrated and doesn't add much to the viewing experience. HDR is far more impressive.

Doing well here, have located a HDMI port on the telly

Doing well here, have located a HDMI port on the telly

That's all you need. If your TV also has a USB port, then you can even power the firestick of that. If not, just use the provided power plug.

/M

• Advertisement
Advertisement