Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tile vs Laminate levels

Options
  • 13-11-2018 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Sorry for the wanky question.

I am having laminate laid by a professional throughout the house but specifically in the kitchen diner.
    I myself, am laying the tiles in the kitchen and I am just a little wary that the levels (height) of the tile is going to match the laminate.

Laminate is 12mm and underlay 3mm = 15mm.
    Tiles are 5mm and I have a 10mm tile adhesive spreader.

Am I in the ball park, where the difference would be negligible with a transition strip?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Let the flooring first, lay the tiling second.

You can adjust the tile height slightly with adhesive but wont be able to do so with the Laminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭andybookie

listermint wrote: »
    Let the flooring first, lay the tiling second.

You can adjust the tile height slightly with adhesive but wont be able to do so with the Laminate.

That's good advice.
    Thinking about timing, I may tile up to two tiles away from the laminate so I can get the majority done.

It's these little gems that makes my wanky question worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

andybookie wrote: »
    Sorry for the wanky question.

Laminate is 12mm and underlay 3mm = 15mm.
    Tiles are 5mm and I have a 10mm tile adhesive spreader.

Am I in the ball park, where the difference would be negligible with a transition strip?

Bear in mind that while the notch on the trowel may be 10mm (guessing large enough format tiles) it's customary to spread the adhesive at approximately 45degrees which will reduce the height of the adhesive to 7mm. Also this will be the height of the peaks with the toughs near 0mm so when you compress the tile the peaks will collapse further.

It is possible to build this up further with additional adhesive and back buttering (which you should be doing with large form tiles anyway) but again the more adhesive used the harder it will be to minimise lippage.

Best to try a height test with a scrap piece of tile on some board to get an idea of your natural adhesive height. Also double check your tile thickness as 5mm sounds quite thin for a floor tile.

Advertisement