Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the pros and cons of an electric moped?

Options
  • 12-11-2018 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi - would be grateful for your thoughts....

Thinking of buying an electric moped for commuting in Dublin - this will be my first bike. The brand is Lifan. Its the electric equivalent of 50cc as this is what I can drive with my license. Commute is ~ 8km each way in city traffic. I cycle in the summer but are reluctant to cycle in the dark, so hoping that a moped would be safer with full lights etc (is that crazy logic?!).

Any opinions on the brand or the idea of an electric moped in general? Should I just go for a standard petrol 50cc one and not complicate things?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Monaou2 wrote: »

Thinking of buying an electric moped for commuting in Dublin - this will be my first bike. The brand is Lifan. Its the electric equivalent of 50cc as this is what I can drive with my license. Commute is ~ 8km each way in city traffic. I cycle in the summer but are reluctant to cycle in the dark, so hoping that a moped would be safer with full lights etc (is that crazy logic?!).

Any opinions on the brand or the idea of an electric moped in general? Should I just go for a standard petrol 50cc one and not complicate things?

Wouldn't imagine any cons tbh......go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wouldn't imagine any cons tbh......go for it

The big con is that you will require tax, insurance and licence while if you get a pedelec and proper lights, most cheap motorbikes have crap lights, you can travel for nearly free.
    (ii) a pedelec,

but does not include a moped or a scooter;

‘ pedelec ’ means a bicycle or tricycle which is equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kilowatts, of which output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 kilometres per hour, or sooner if the cyclist stops pedalling;

Or if like most people you don't care about tax,insurance etc then just get an electric bicycle or stick a 2 stroke motor to a bicycle frame and you can motor away without any issues, yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Del2005 wrote: »
    Or if like most people you don't care about tax,insurance etc then just get an electric bicycle or stick a 2 stroke motor to a bicycle frame and you can motor away without any issues, yet..

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1057594110532640768 Scrap the yet Del.

Insuring a Lifan e-scooter here might be a pain in the face. Find out first before buying. Motor tax will be tiny and op costs also tiny, if it can be insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,504 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If it doesn't have European vehicle type approval you can forget about running it legally on the road.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Monaou2 wrote: »

It's a Chinese brand. I'm not sure how reliable they are. I personally would stick with a petrol scooter from the usual brands i. e. Yamaha, Honda, Piaggio etc

If you want to to go down the electrical route then get an electric bicycle from a decent shop e.g. Greenaer in Dublin 2. They sell all the quality brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

I would consider a leccy scooter as a disposable novelty. You could get a Japanese 125 and use it every winter for the next 20 years and then sell it for what you paid for it.

Advertisement