Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood pellet stoves

Options
  • 12-11-2018 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Im considering buying a Wood pellet for my house, I know very little about them, I've been looking them up on the internet which is quite confusing, some just have a flue going out and others have a flue and a smaller pipe as an intake of air for the stove, is there any difference between the both or do they do the same job, would a 9kw pellet stove be as good as a 9kw solid fuel stove, if anyone has any information about them or what to look out for like good makes or bad, or are they as good as they are made out to be, I would be considering roughly 9kw non boiler, all info appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I didn't think wood pellet stoves were still a thing? It's not my line of work but the impression I get is that more people are getting them taken out then getting them installed. Maybe my buddies are still installing them but I don't believe any have mentioned wood pellet stoves in 8 to 10 years.

Maybe I'm totally wrong. Happy to be corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭10-10-20

There is a difference between both. The one with two pipes - a flue and an external air feed - is called 'room sealed' and doesn't consume the air from within the premises as fuel. The other inversely does.
    The benefits are that the room sealed one won't create drafts by sucking in air through vents and such.
    As these stoves are engineered systems the consumed air volume of these stoves is minimal, so the gain from one design over another could be very minimal on an older house which isn't sealed against air-leaks. A bit of air-flow is a good thing after all.

But as to whether pellet stoves are a thing or not, I'd agree that they have reduced in favour somewhat from the highs of 10 years back, but they should also have refined themselves as they have also evolved over this duration.
    Read: the early ones were pigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ciggfree

Hi Im considering buying a Wood pellet for my house, I know very little about them, I've been looking them up on the internet which is quite confusing, some just have a flue going out and others have a flue and a smaller pipe as an intake of air for the stove, is there any difference between the both or do they do the same job, would a 9kw pellet stove be as good as a 9kw solid fuel stove, if anyone has any information about them or what to look out for like good makes or bad, or are they as good as they are made out to be, I would be considering roughly 9kw non boiler, all info appreciated. Thanks

I installed a pellet stove 2 years ago replacing a solid fuel stove. Maybe I was lucky but have had very little issues with it. It is a different type of heat than from the solid fuel stove. The flame is totally different and will depend on a number of things. Size of room, standards of insulation and required temperature. All these will determine the quantity of pellets used. Mine is heating a kitchen and living room which is about 50M squared. My room temperature is set to 22 degrees. I have it set to come on at 16.00 and go off around 23.00 during the week. In my case a 10 Kg bag of pellets will keep it going for 2 days. Once set it works by itself without any input. It adjusts itself to keep the room at 22 degrees. On startup the flame will be very high to get room up to temperature and then it cuts down pellet feed to maintain that temperature. 3 10Kg bags of pellets cost 10 euros which is 6 days heating. I also have oil which comes on intermittently during the day for hot water and bedrooms. I clean out once a week and that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

How do the costs of running the pellet boiler compare to heating with oil? Yours is it heating radiators and water?

Advertisement