Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DD-WRT Mesh Network

Options
  • 12-11-2018 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi, anyone on here set up a mesh network using dd-wrt? Is it possible? and does it work ok?, I have thick stone walls and a very spread out floor area, my plan would be to run cat5 from main router to two sub routers, it's a diy home job and I have used dd-wrt before to bridge my home network to my shed/workshop with second AP, which worked fine as there was no overlap between AP's so would disconnect and automatically connect when in AP area. If I improve my wifi coverage there will be overlap so can't see connection swapping over(correct me if I'm wrong) that's why I am enquiring about a mesh network, I know I can buy a mesh setup but for two reasons, cost and the fact that I like to do stuff I would rather do it for myself, (unless there is a cheap mesh network option :) ) apologies for long winded post, any info, advice or pointing in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

so you just want to setup several routers running dd-wrt with the same SSID details?

Stock answer here is invest in some Unifi APs and problem solved and you will never look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sunshinereggae

BailMeOut wrote: »
    so you just want to setup several routers running dd-wrt with the same SSID details?

Stock answer here is invest in some Unifi APs and problem solved and you will never look back.

Thank you BailMeout and I agree that Unifi APs would do exactly that and I may have to buy an out of box solution but as someone who likes to experiment and play with stuff I want to see if anyone has done this using dd-wrt and if it worked sucessfully? The spec on the unifi aps is exceptionally good but real world needs are often lower, a dual band dd-wrt compatible router would be less than half the price of a unifi ap and I get more satisfaction doing something myself than just putting hand in pocket and paying someone else for it so if there are any dd-wrt guru's here, advice on whether it is possible or not would be much appreciated. If I'm doing you know what in to the wind tell me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Don't use mesh if you have thick stone walls blocking your signal. Run cables and use hard wired access points like Ubiquiti Unifi.

Advertisement