Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vienna

Options
  • 11-11-2018 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Going to Vienna first week of December. Gonna hit the Christmas markets, rathhaus seems to be the biggest? Any suggestions for things to do? Also, I love quirky,different bars or any good affordable restaurants?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

We were in Vienna for the Christmas markets 2 years ago. Beautiful city. Great vibe. There is a quirky bar just down from the Stephendom called the Loos American Bar. Smoking ban not in place in the bars then as far as I can remember. Plenty of cafes for coffee and strudel. We love our grub and can recommend the following; "Figlmuller" on Backerstrasse. The wienerschnitzel is the size of a hub-cap. "Zum Wiessen Rauchfangher" or in English "The White Chimney Sweep" for authentic Viennese cuisine on Weihburggasse. We also found a lovely Italian called Ristorante Danieli on Himmelpfortgasse. All reasonably priced as far as I recall. If you are interested in going to the Spanish Riding School have a look at going to the morning exercise of the horses. It takes place between 10 and 12 each weekday. Its free but get there early to get tickets. Have a great trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

We were in Vienna for the Christmas markets 2 years ago. Beautiful city. Great vibe. There is a quirky bar just down from the Stephendom called the Loos American Bar. Smoking ban not in place in the bars then as far as I can remember. Plenty of cafes for coffee and strudel. We love our grub and can recommend the following; "Figlmuller" on Backerstrasse. The wienerschnitzel is the size of a hub-cap. "Zum Wiessen Rauchfangher" or in English "The White Chimney Sweep" for authentic Viennese cuisine on Weihburggasse. We also found a lovely Italian called Ristorante Danieli on Himmelpfortgasse. All reasonably priced as far as I recall. If you are interested in going to the Spanish Riding School have a look at going to the morning exercise of the horses. It takes place between 10 and 12 each weekday. Its free but get there early to get tickets. Have a great trip.

Thanks for your reply. Will definitely check your suggestions out!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

The theme park, Prater, is absolutely amazing. Its so much fun and is also the oldest amusement park in the world! They have a fabulous ferris wheel that gives amazing views over the city. My favourite place to eat was this place https://www.puerstner.com/welcome-to-puerstner/ Very good Viennese food and the staff were lovely.

In terms of places to drink, we went to Josef's Cocktail Bar, which is in the Jewish quarter and there are lots of places surrounding it too. Only issue I had was that everyone smokes indoors. I'm so glad I was a child when the smoking ban was brought in, because my lungs were killing me after literally walking into one place where we spent no more than 5 minutes inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

We are going to the Christmas markets in Vienna this year. Can anyone recommend a good central hotel reasonably priced?

bono_v wrote: »
    We are going to the Christmas markets in Vienna this year. Can anyone recommend a good central hotel reasonably priced?

We stayed in a pension across from Charlie Ps Irish pub. Good location, good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

K.C wrote: »
    We stayed in a pension across from Charlie Ps Irish pub. Good location, good value.

A pension Vienna happymit? Is that the one?

bono_v wrote: »
    A pension Vienna happymit? Is that the one?

Pension schottentor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

I’ve heard good stuff about Riva Pizza on Schickgasse

Advertisement